CHAPTER 11 : A Sugary Delight

"Florina," David said as he emerged from the candy shop. She was sitting in her wheelchair munching happily on her third chocolate chip cookie. When she spotted David, she gave him a warm smile.

"Where did the slime ball go?" the emerald eyed wizard handed Florina a chocolate bar "And how could he leave you alone like that, so much for your knight and savior."

Florina chuckled and shook her head, "I forgot my wand and asked him if he could get it for me."

"Oh." David nodded and smirked, "He should have stayed around for longer though, we could have scared more kids with him."

The witch grinned, finishing the last piece of her cookie and moved onto the chocolate bar that David bought. They stayed in awkward silence for a while as David watched the witch's unhealthy obsession for sweets with amusement.

After a while, he chuckled "How are you not a hundred kgs by now Florina, did that cookie even last two seconds?"

She gave him a playful pout, "Are you fat shaming me David? Well, to answer your question, I don't really know to be honest. Maybe my metabolism is higher than normal, I don't really think about it."

He nodded, still smiling to himself, "Whatever it is, it has been serving you really well. You look as fantastic as ever."

The wizard didn't realize what he said right away but when he did, his cheeks flushed and avoided Florina's surprised gaze. He stood behind her wheelchair and pushed it forward. "I think we should head back home, it's getting colder out."

Florina immediately left the candy bar and turned to him "But David, I haven't even tried ice cream yet. You promised me I would try that one too right?"

He stopped pushing her and smiled, "Flora, I don't know if you should eat anymore sweets. I honestly don't know if it is even healthy to let you eat that much of it. It might...it might slow the healing process of your leg, you care about that, don't you?"

"David please!" she gave him another fake pout "I don't feel there is anything wrong with me I swear. And don't worry about my legs, they are healing perfectly well. But sweets are...they are..."

The witch got quiet for a few minutes, fiddling with her fingers nested on her lap. A few tears ran down her cheeks as she struggled hard not to shed anymore tears. David noticed her silence and crouched down to her level.

He placed a hand on hers when he saw her tears, feeling guilty. He spoke softly, "Florina, what is it? Was it something I said because if it was, I am very sorry—"

"I am sorry David," she whispered as fresh tears stained her cheeks "after... after what happened in the forbidden forest, I became... I got weak. Very weak. Anything can set me off. You didn't do or say anything I promise. It's... it's quite the opposite actually, you have been wonderful to me and Severus. I wish I could repay your wonderful hospitality someday."

The emerald eyes twinkled with happiness. The hand that rested on top of hers was shivering with excitement. Florina faced David to see a bright grin stretching across his face, a genuine sign of happiness she has never seen before.

Florina took the opportunity and squeezed his hands in hers as she gave him her warm smile. He scooted closer to her, the bright grin still clearly visible.

"I promised myself I will do anything for you so you don't owe me anything dear. It's quite the opposite in fact, I owe you a lot. The least I owe you is an explanation as to why I... I..."

He stopped himself abruptly before he could spill more information, remembering the unbreakable vow he did with Dumbledore. According to the vow, he wasn't supposed to mention anything from the past to Florina. The wizard cursed himself for agreeing to make such a vow.