Darkness

Darkness that's all there was. After he had ended the reanimation he was again taken to the cold embrace of death.

'I've finished what I set out to do, and now I've left Sasuke to Naruto. The only thing left to do is sit here in this void. How disappointing the afterlife seems to be.' He mused.

'Hmm what is that light?' He wondered seeing a small white light in the distance. 'I wonder where this will lead me.' He thought walking in the direction of the light.

When he got closer he realized the light wasn't actually far away it was just a small glowing orb of some kind and it seemed to be moving. 'Intriguing.' He thought as he followed the ball. There wasn't much else to do at the moment anyways.

He followed the ball for a time, and the entire time it stayed close to a meter away give or take. Then it just suddenly stopped and circled around the follower for a few seconds before starting again.

"Now why did you do that?" He asked not really expecting an answer. Regardless he started following it again and walked forward half a step before realizing a second too late that there was no ground there.

"You tricked me so easily... death seems to dull the senses instead of completely erasing them." He said with a dry chuckle which sounded weird coming from him. Or at least he thought it did,

"Oh well let's see where this takes me. Who knows maybe I have just cursed myself to an eternal fall. This might be what the Izanami feels like with a really short loop." All these admittedly pointless thoughts went through his head simply because there was nothing else to think about. He wasn't afraid to die he was already dead. He didn't mind the feeling of falling, and he couldn't even see the little light anymore.

Wait there's another light down there getting closer. 'I wonder-' He thought before everything went white.

When he woke up everything was blurry for a few seconds before his eyes adjusted. Years of experience and paranoia made him instantly activate his Sharingan and survey his surroundings. The first thing he noticed was what he was wearing. "Why am I back in this outfit?" He asked aloud.

He was wearing his Akatsuki garb. Completely black with red cloud emblazons across it. He also noticed he was wearing his usual clothes underneath it, and even had his pouch holding ninja tools.

"Ugh my head..." Came a voice from behind him. When he looked to where the voice had come from he drew a Kunai and slowly walked towards it. After looking around a tree he saw someone who he never thought he'd see again.

"Kisame?" He asked.

Kisame turned around hearing his name and a familiar voice. "Itachi... is that you?" He asked rubbing his eyes. "It is you, but how? You died long before I did." He said taking in his surroundings.

"I'm not sure... it may be a new form of the reanimation jutsu." Itachi said looking around again trying to pick up any chakra signatures besides their own.

It was about that time that he realized something else. "My vision..." He muttered. He could see perfectly clear again. With that thought in mind he needed to check if he still was able to activate the Mangekyo Sharingan. Itachi closed his eyes and reopened them the classic red eye with three coma markings around the center was replaced with the three-pointed shape of his own Mangekyo Sharingan.

"What's happening around here?" He asked.

"What do you mean aside from the fact that we are somehow alive." Kisame asked looking to his old partner.

"My vision which had digressed to a state of almost complete blindness is now clear again." He said now looking around more carefully. When he looked in a nearby bush he saw another chakra signature, and when he went to take a closer look he called to Kisame. "Kisame. Samehada is over here."