8 · Old Cars & Flying Beasts

"We can discuss sexism in survival situations when I get back." - Dr. Ellie Sattler, Jurassic Park (1993)

----------------------------------------

Zach, Gray, and I trudged through the dense forest, attempting to find a safe place to stop. I had taken off my flannel shirt almost an hour ago, not wanting to deal with the soaking fabric. It was now tied around my waist. I looked up as the boys stopped, my eyes widening in surprise as I took in the scenery. The building in front of us was in ruins, covered in moss and vines, but there was a sense of familiarity to it.

I walked into the building before the boys could protest, tracing a hand against the wall. I held up my lighter, the small flame flickering as it bounced off the walls. Zach and Gray followed behind me, just as surprised to see the old signs and paintings that covered the inside.

The boys wandered through the building while I checked out what looked like the garage, smiling happily at the silhouette of a car hidden under a sign. I walked forward, pulling the old banner to the side.

"1992 Jeep Wrangler."

I turned around, looking at the boys with a bit of surprise. I hadn't noticed them walk in.

"Sand Beige." Gray added, walking up to the old car.

"Hey, it'll be just like Grandpa's old Malibu." Zach smiled, popping the hood.

"I don't know," Gray replied, sounding doubtful. "It's in bad condition; a lot worse than Grandpa's."

I walked over to where the boys were standing, looking down at the rusty engine. I leaned forward to get a better look, a smile spreading across my face. "Can someone find me a wrench?"

❂ ❂ ❂

"You think it's out there?" Gray asked, his voice nervous.

"I know for a fact it's definitely not out there, all right?" Zach answered. He tried his best to hide it, but I could still hear the fear that seeped into his voice. "We're totally safe."

"Hey, Iz?"

"Yeah?" I replied, my voice slightly muffled by where I sat under the car.

"Is there anyway to tell Aunt Claire that we're okay?" Gray mumbled.

I bit my lip, sliding out from under the car and looking at him. "My phone's fried," I admitted, "and the walkie's not getting the best service out here, but we might be able to use the car's radio."

"Do you think that could work?" Zach asked, sounding surprised.

"It's possible, but we'd probably just be listening." I sighed, wiping my hands off on a nearby rag.

"Better than nothing." Gray replied.

"All right," I said, standing up and throwing Gray the keys. "Turn it over, kid."

Zach and I high fived when we heard the sound of the engine running, a sense of relief washing over me. I reached for Gray's hand, helping him into the passenger side. Zach loaded into the vehicle next, reaching for the steering wheel as I shook my head.

"You seriously think you're driving this thing?" I scoffed.

"You failed your driver's test." Gray chimed in.

Zach sent his brother a glare, before turning back to me. "Did you pass?"

"No, I just drive motorcycles and the Park's vehicles recklessly." I retorted, rolling my eyes as Zach reluctantly slid over.

The first half of the drive was somewhat peaceful, if it wasn't for the fear of the Indominus and the other loose dinosaurs in the Park. I had a feeling that the boys were trying not to think about it, but I knew deep down that the Indominus wasn't the only one on the loose.

"See?" Zach smiled, leaning back in his seat. "We're safe now."

"Not exactly." Gray replied, pointing to a swarm of pterodactyls above us.

"Who the hell let them out?" I hissed, pushing the gas pedal. As if to answer my question, a staticky announcement came over the car's radio.

"Attention Aviary employees, there has been a containment breach. Repeat, there has been a breach in the Aviary."

"Great." I muttered, mostly to myself.

"The gate!" Gray exclaimed, pointing to the closed gate in front of us. The two boys began yelling and waving their arms to get the attention of the guards. "Hey! Let us in!"

The gate began to open, but only enough to let the small car in. As the vehicle slid through the open doors, the three of us let out a sigh of relief.

"I take it back." Zach gasped, sinking in his seat. "We're safe now."