Eight

~
Alexis
~

"You think dogs bark in accents?"

"The fuck kinda question is that?" I ask with a chuckle and look over at Shay, who has a thoughtful expression on her face.

"I'm just wondering. Like, do you think dogs know where other dogs are from based on their barks?" she quizzes and turns her head to look at me as I spark up the second joint of the evening. "You smoke a lot."

I take a hit and lean back as I look forward, answering after I exhale, "You're the one that got me to start," I point out and she raises her eyebrows.

"I forgot you were all innocent before I met you," she jokes and I roll my eyes playfully. "You were all cute and shy and shit."

"I wasn't innocent." I huff and pass her the joint, "And I only acted like that because I had a fat crush on you back then."

"And now?" she asks before taking a long drag, and I stay silent for a moment while I genuinely think over how to answer that.

It has been a few weeks since we first reconnected, and we've been hanging out a lot. It's been nice because we get along so well and understand each other, and I'm not constantly going out of my mind trying to figure out where I stand with Shay the way I do with certain other people.

Sometimes I get a little bit confused because, if there's one thing you'll notice about Shay if you meet her, it's that she's very friendly. She's touchy and pretty flirty, and it throws you off until you realize she's like that with everyone and it doesn't actually mean anything.

That took me a while to get over when we first started dating.

"Now I'm just happy you're even talking to me," I say honestly and watch her as she exhales out of her nose.

She eyes me for a second then looks down at the joint between her fingers. "Where'd you get this? Shit's good," she says as she passes it back to me.

"I'll get you more, but don't ask where it's from," I reply and give her a cheeky smirk that makes her raise a brow.

"That's not shady at all," she says sarcastically and watches me as I stand up from the couch to walk into the kitchen.

I hear her get up and follow me, and I take another hit as I walk to the fridge to grab a bottle of Gatorade. I turn around to find Shay sitting on the counter, and she reaches for the joint.

"I have a question," she says as I pass it to her.

"Shoot."

"How long have  you been in love with Billie?"

I almost choke on the sip of Gatorade I was taking as she asks me that just because of the bluntness, and she watches me in amusement and takes a hit while I cough.

"Sorry, what?" I ask once my coughing fit calms down.

"It's obvious, I don't see why you're shocked by the question," she says and keeps her eyes on me. "You wanna know how I know?"

"Yeah."

"You look at her the way you used to look at me," she says with a sad edge to her voice. "And it's just obvious to anyone," she adds, suddenly sounding amused.