#6

roia jean king

the music was blasting through david's house making my ears ring. the ice in my cup already melting from the heat radiating throughout the house. liz and natalie both posted by my side as we laughed over drunk ilya who was currently stumbling around us, screaming the words to the song blaring through the speakers. ilya then trips onto me, making me spill the deep red juice in my cup all over the top i was currently wearing.

"oh shit, 'msorry." ilya slurs as he wipes away at my shirt with his arm, making me laugh.

i shake my head and lift him up, propping him up.

"it's okay ills. i'm gonna go grab something from david." i smile, turning to natalie and liz, who nod their heads.

"i saw him go into his room a while ago. probably to stare at his award some more. you can borrow something of mine. but we both know you just want to wear david's sweater." natalie winks.

i roll my eyes, shaking my head at my two best friends.

"shut up. will one of you come with me, please?"

liz nods her head.

"i'll go with you. natalie has to watch ilya and make sure he doesn't break anything."

we laugh and natalie mocks our laughs as ilya throws his arm around her shoulder and she drags him into the backyard.

"i saw those photos of you two at the awards show. you two looked awfully cozy." liz taunts, her signature smirk slapped across her face.

my cheeks heat up as i nod.

"yeah. yeah you know, i think...i think i'm gonna tell him. he might not-"

"jesus roy, shut up and tell him. or so help me god i'm going to throw myself off of his balcony."

i chuckle, shaking my head. as we reach his door, i grab hold of the handle, pushing the door open.

"hey david can i-"

my heart stops at the sight in front of me. kelsey, clad only in david's sweater, her yellow crop top i had seen her wearing earlier, strewn across the floor. her necklaces on david's side table. david's hands on her thighs, eyes wide like a deer caught in headlights. for a moment i forget how to breathe, until liz grabs my hand, squeezing tightly.

"i-i'm sorry. my bad. i'll- i- sorry."

i slam the door shut and liz wraps her arm around my waist, leading me out of the house, as i count my breaths. trying to remember the most simple task known to man. she leads me out to the backyard, grabbing natalie's elbow.

"we need to leave."

natalie's eyebrows furrow in confusion as she scans over us both, her eyes slowly raking over me. she nods her head, looping her arm into mine.

"let's go. where are your keys? i'll drive."

liz reaches into her pocket, handing natalie her keys as we push through the people, leaving through david's backyard gate. i can hear david's faint shouting, calling for me. and for a moment, i want to respond.

"don't. just, let your emotions wear off first. then talk to him." liz advises as she opens the car door for me.

i nod and natalie hops into the drivers seat, liz hopping in the back with me. natalie presses the gate clicker, opening the gate, and pulling out of david's driveway. as she reverses out, david runs out the front door, his eyes staring into the car. liz pulls on my shoulder, letting me lay down and putting my head into her lap. he pulls out his phone, quickly typing, and pulling his phone to his ear. natalie's phone starts to vibrate in the front cup holder. natalie quickly whips the car around, liz then opens the back window and stares blankly at him, sticking her middle finger out the window. natalie chuckles before driving away from the house and silencing her phone. lizs' fingers run through my hair, silence flooding the car, then we then pull into the nearest parking lot, and natalie turns the car off turning back towards us. she picks up her phone, sighing at david's name flashing across the screen.