#19

roia jean king

(AN: op. here's an extra long one for ya'll. back to our regularly scheduled updates. so sorry.)

"i just don't understand. the NCLEX isn't for the next nine months, ro. why are you already studying for the damn thing?" heath asks as he throws himself lazily across the couch behind me.

i sigh, closing the study book and leaning my head back to look at heath.

"because heath. this test decides wether or not i'll be able to practice. if i don't pass this exam, my degree will be for nothing and i'll spend an entire year without a job or doing some minimum wage job not using the degree that i've fallen into debt for."

"well when you put it that way..." he mumbles, making a strange face at me.

i giggle, throwing my books onto the table and curling myself into one of the beanbags.

"but seriously. you shouldn't stress this much about it right now. you have time and you're still in school. you still have learning to do. and while studying early is smart, don't give yourself so much anxiety over it. because baby you've gotta learn to bend or else you'll break."

i sigh, throwing the hood of this large hoodie over my head.

"i know. i just really need to pass this exam, heath. my career literally depends on it."

"i know. just try to lighten the load a little bit. david can't afford to have you have a mental breakdown. that's trisha's thing." heath snorts.

"heath!" i laugh

"i expected you to be more mad. she literally compared your boyfriend to ted bundy." heath exasperates, raising his eyebrows.

"ted bundy was kinda fine though..." i mumble.

"ROIA!" heath yells, laughing off his initial shock.

"i'm just saying." i mutter, raising my hands up in surrender and leaning over to grab my notebook.

heath reaches over, slapping the notebook out of my hands making me gasp.

"heath! what the hell?"

"stop it. we're going to david's. come on."

"but i-"

"i'll tell on you."

"oh yeah? to who? and for what? studying? don't think you can get in trouble for that."

he pauses for a moment and pulls out his phone.

"i'll order you chicken strips?"

"hmm...make it chick-fil-a and i'll take it. come on let's go." i strain as i push myself off of heath's living room floor.

he let's out a quiet 'yes' before rolling off of the couch, grabbing his keys off the table.

"i'll meet you there?" i ask, grabbing my keys out of my bag before throwing my books into it.

"yeah. and if you listen to any nursing podcasts, i'll cancel your postmates." he threatens, making me raise my hands up in surrender.

"i won't i won't. pinky promise."

he glares and we both get into our cars, pulling away from his house and driving out towards the hills.

"i never said i wouldn't listen to an NCLEX audiobook." i smirk, playing the audiobook over the speaker in my car.

we both speed through the streets of los angeles before reaching david's beautiful neighborhood. i open david's gate and i turn my audiobook off, switching it to a random song i had put onto shuffle. as i park, heath throws open my door, eyeing me suspiciously and taking in the voice of frank sinatra.