#14

roia jean king

"this is it guys."

the locker room was thick with nervous tension, yet a confident aura huddled over us like a protective bubble and everyone was antsy to get onto the field. we all looked up to coach roone as he stood on the locker room bench, overlooking us.

"you guys have practiced really hard and i know that we can win. we can. and pep talks aren't really my thing. so i'm not going to give you one. all i'm going to say is i believe in all of you. even you teresa, despite the fact that you're the worst one here. okay! let's go out there and eat some bears for dinner!"

our cheers and screams erupted throughout the locker room and we all jumped around, attempting to hype each other up and get our adrenaline pumping. all of our hearts pumping fast paced in our chests, the beating mimicking the sounds of the thumping bass line of our entrance song. the cheers of the crowd and the announcers voice leaking into the locker room. liz, rachel, and i stood side by side. jumping up and down to keep the nerves flowing through. we look at each other, nodding our heads and taking hold of each other's hands. the girls standing behind us start linking up, leaving a line of united women to follow out to the field.

(a/n; this next part might seem super cringey, but my soccer team actually did this and i started feeling nostalgic writing this chapter. so please humor me with this, akdnsjssbksdn.)

"what are we!?" rachel shouts, causing an eruption behind us.

"women!"

"and what do women do!?"

"win!"

"- please give a warm usc welcome to our very own trojan women's socccer team!"

we turn to each other, our hands falling to our sides as we all smiled, awaiting our strange entrance ritual. our smiles became wider as we pushed open the doors and began dancing out onto the field. our giggles and laughs making us completely forget our nerves as we made fools of ourselves. liz grabs my hand, twirling me around as the whole team danced foolishly out of the locker rooms, past the brooding team to our right. we ran out towards the bleachers, making our way into the stands and we start pulling seated people up one by one to dance with us in the stands. liz and i wiggle our way over to tom and harrison who were seated in the front row. the entire vlog squad seated behind them, laughing at everything happening around them. tom and harrison flaunt their school colored attire, dancing around with us in the stands. my eyes meet david's and i blow a not so subtle kiss his way. his camera pans over the chaos that is our soccer team and we all hop over the edge of the stands, filing into line across from the straight faced, confused team. the songs fades out and the crowd falls silent. the coaches step forward to shake hands, signaling for the rest of us to step forward, shaking the hands of the women stood in front of us. we all turn around, making our way to our respective sides of the field. the announcer began naming out the first string line ups as coach roone went over our first quarter play. we all fist bumped and pulled away from the huddle. i turn to liz, grabbing her hand before we run out to the field.

"we got this baby."

"fuck yeah we do."

+++++++++++++

needless to say, we almost did have this. we were halfway through the game and 2 goals behind. we were so close in winning before they brought out some cracked out striker that absolutely annihilated us in the second quarter. the team stormed angrily into the locker room. my fist immediately colliding with the face of the nearest locker.

"it's their fucking striker. she's like fucking speedy gonzales. tiny and fast as shit." liz shouted.

"liz i think she's mexican so i'm pretty sure that comment is kind of racist."