1 || PROM NIGHT

2012

"Where's my hair straightener!" I shout as I exit the bathroom in my shorts and a bra. It was prom night and I had about 30 minutes before we had to leave.

The doorbell rang as I reached my room. "Harry!" My mom shouts from downstairs, announcing that he was here already. I heard my parents speaking with him before footsteps climbed up into my room.

"I don't think that's appropriate attire for prom." He snickers from the doorway as I retrieve my hair straightener from the bottom of my bed.

"I really don't think you're one to talk. You haven't even tucked in your shirt." I point out making him look down as I walk past him.

"You know, you were supposed to be ready an hour ago." He follows me into the bathroom, tucking in his shirt. "Though I kind of need help with my tie." He holds it out making me roll my eyes. I quickly help him and straighten my hair.

"How is your music coming along?" I ask. He's always talked about becoming famous for his music and I don't believe for a second that he would never get that chance. Ever since we were little he's always being a little annoying shit.

He would always participate in school plays and talent shows, even if he didn't have a major part. He was once a tree in a kindergarten play we were forced to do. Goldilocks And The Three Bears, and there was Harry dressed as a tree in the background for just one scene.

He always had a thing for entertainment, unlike me. I think public attention is a humiliation to me.

"It's great." He nods. "I may or may not have signed a record deal for it." He says casually making me turn to him in shock. I didn't have to say anything and all he did was smile, showcasing his dimples making me jump up and down.

"Oh my God!" I scream and hug him. "I knew you could do it!" I quickly kiss his cheek making him blush as I back up.

"There's kind of a catch." Harry says biting his bottom lip making me lose my smile. "I have to move to America in a couple of weeks."

"What? For how long?" He can't leave?

"The Contract is for 7 years." He nervously says, playing with his tie.

"Where in America?"

"New York." That's like 10 hours away. "Look, I don't leave for a couple of weeks -"

"So you've already made up your mind? Like, you're actually going?" I ask in disbelief.

He gives a nervous chuckle. "Well, yeah. It's what I've always wanted, remember? Why, you don't think I should?"

"No it's not that I'm just - what about your mum? Have you told her yet?" I ask, swallowing back the harsh lump in my throat.

I'm happy for him, I really am it's just that we've been best friends since we were babies and I sort of knew this would happen but not so soon.

"Kate my mum is thrilled for me, she prayed for this."

Damn it Anne.

"Well what about uni?" I quickly ask.

"Honestly, I already did all my school years and besides, uni was never for me. This is what I truly want. If I stayed and went to uni I wouldn't know what to do with my life. I don't sense happiness from you Katie." He jokes, another thing he did when he was nervous.

"No I am." I breathe out. "I'm just going to miss you." I say making him engulf me in a tight hug.

"I'll come back, we'll stay in touch I promise. But like I said, it's not for another few weeks and tonight is prom so let's go make the best of it." He says and kisses the top of my head. "Now finish getting ready, we're late."

Barbara Palvin as Kate Davis
Harry Styles as Himself