3 || INSUFFICIENT FUNDS

"Kate Davis?" I look up to see my English professor in front of me, a clipboard in her hand.

"Yes?" I close my laptop.

"You haven't paid your monthly tuition, it's important for me to tell you that if you would like to keep doing your classes, you will have to pay your debt." She says with a stern look on her face.

I look around the class to notice students looking at me. Why'd she have to be so damn loud? I simply nod. "No problem." I say and gather my things, immediately heading towards the nearest ATM in school to retrieve the money.

INSUFFICIENT FUNDS

"What?" I take my card out before putting it back in only for the screen to say the same thing. I try it a few more times and when it says the same thing, my face gets hot and my eyes water.

I quickly leave and head for the train station, immediately buying a ticket for back home all the while trying to not have a fucking panic attack in the middle of people riding the train with me.

After 45 minutes of pure agony, I run the rest of the mile left from the train station to my house. "Back so soon?" My mother says as I enter the living room and when she sees my state, she loses her smile. "What's wrong sweetheart?"

"I have insufficient funds." I say out of breath making my mother's eyebrows mash together.

"What do you mean?"

"I can't go back to school because I didn't pay my monthly tuition." I specify. "They're going to drop me if I don't pay it in 3 weeks."

"Well I'm sure we've got some money left from your fathers chemotherapy we can work something out." She says beginning to walk away.

"No, mum that's money that he needs, I'll just have to work a second job, hopefully I'll make enough in 3 weeks. It's unlikely but if not, I guess I'll just start over."

Could things get any worse?