TWENTY ONE

I was standing on Steve's porch, enjoying few last minutes of this place.
"What's on your mind?" Steve came behind me and wrapped me in his arms.
"That I'm gonna miss this view," I smiled when I felt the warmth of his body on my back.
"Just the view?" His arms wrapped tighter and he kissed the sensitive spot on my neck.
"Yeah, pretty much," I teased and turned to face him.
"Maybe you too," I leaned forward and kissed his soft lips, "I'll miss you."
"I'll miss you too. Let's go or you'll miss your flight."
"I don't think it'd be such a bad thing though."
Steve grabbed my suitcase, "No, it would not."

"Hi girl, how's LA?"
I was happy to hear Steve's voice on the other side of the phone again. I've just got out of the shower and cosied on the couch to talk to him.
"Weird. It's been raining the whole day. It doesn't feel like LA. More like Seattle."
"You've lived in Seattle?" Steve wondered.
"No, thank God. But I visited once for long weekend."
"Wet weekend?" I heard Steve laughed on the other side of the line.
"You bet. I'm sorry I didn't talk to you much in the last days, I had zero time."
"No problem. I understand."

"How's Hawaii?"
"Sunny. Lonely. By the way, Danny will be in LA from Thursday."
"That's in two days," I counted, "Why? Does he miss me?" I teased.
"I'm sure he does but he has to give his testimony to court about one of his old cases."

"Oh ok. I will call him, maybe he'll want to hang out."
"I'm sure he will. I wish I was him."
"

I will not sleep with him though," I teased.
"Haha you're funny."
"Steve."
"Hm."
"I love you."
Saying those words to him made me smile.
"I love you too."

We stayed quiet and cherished our confessions before Steve broke the stillness.
"I was actually calling you to tell you that I'm leaving Hawaii tomorrow, I'm going to South Africa with Joe."
"Vacation with Joe? I'm jealous," I laughed.
"Don't be. It'll be far from vacation. He needs help with something. I just wanna let you know that I'll not be able to talk to you much but I'll call you as soon as I get back, OK?"
"OK. Do you know how long you will be gone?"
"About a week but I'll be back in time for Tulum," his voice softened at the mention of our romantic getaway.
I leaned back to the couch, "I'm happy to hear that." I paused, "Steve?"
"Yes."
"I love you."
"I love you too."

"What exactly did you come here for?" I asked Danny as we sat down with our drinks at the small cafe in Venice Beach, "Steve told me that you have to be in court or something?"
"Yes," the blonde detective answered, "I'm here to testify on an old murder case from the time I was working on the mainland. The guy is up for parole in six months and now he has his hearing."
"When exactly is the hearing? I could come with you. For mental support."
"One part already happened yesterday. I was there the whole day and tomorrow is the verdict. But it's fine, you don't have to come."
"Ok. Call me if you change yoou mind," I smiled.
"I will," Danny smiled back.

"Are you for or against this person?" I asked as I dipped my fork into my chocolate cake.
"Definitely against!"
"I was just asking," I was taken back by Danny's outburst.
"I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound harsh. But he's a cop killer. He has killed three cops while fleeing crime scene 15 years ago. He's one son of a bitch. I hope he will rot in prison."
"I'm sorry."
"Thanks. It's happened long time ago."

"How's your coffe?" I expected easy conversation about our beverages, weather and movies.
"I don't know how you do it," bug Danny changed the subject without answering.
"Do what?" I sipped on my matcha latte.
"Be so relaxed."
"Why wouldn't I be? It's a beautiful day-"
"Wait!! You don't know, do you?"
"Ehm," I stopped my hand from putting another piece of cake into my mouth, "know what?"
"He didn't tell you?"
"What are you talking about Danny?" I put the spoon back on the plate as he was making me uncomfortable.
"Why he went to Sout Africa."
"He did tell me. To help Joe."
"Hm I see," Danny frowned his eyebrows.
"Danny if you know something, tell me please."
"It's just...Steve should tell you himself."
"Is he alright?"
"Alright? He's more than alright," Danny laughed ironically quickly stopped, "Sorry."
"You're weird, you know that?"
"I'm not. It's just not my place to tell," Danny defended himself.
"Tell me!"
"I can't."