FOURTEEN

"Welcome to USS Arizona memorial," Hawaiian woman smiled at us as she handed us two tickets.
"Next boat leaves in 5 minutes."

"You've been here before?" I asked Steve as we sat down at one of wooden benches on board of Navy boat which was about to take us to the memorial.
"Few times," Steve smiled at me, "it used to be our family tradition since I was a kid."
"When was the last time you were here?"
"When I was 16. Before the thing with my mother happened and my dad sent me away."

The memorial itself was white long bridge. Reminder of what happened on Dec 7, 1941 in these exact waters.
We exited the boat and waited in the line until the visitors in front of us fit inside.

"What's with you today!" I looked at my boyfriend who was looking down to the water at the remains of USS Arizona as we made it to the bridge, leaning on the white barrier

"Nothing. I'm fine," he almost whispered as he turned towards me and grabbed me around my shoulders suggesting that we move with our tour.
"Is it because of what happened here? In Pearl Harbor," I didn't let him off so easily.
He took deep breath, "My grandfather served on USS Arizona and died here on the day it got bombed."
Well that'd explain his mood.
"I'm sorry," I squeezed his arm for support, "I wish you would have told me before. I'd have never asked you to come." I was feeling sorry for his loss but there was nothing I could have done. I didn't know.
"I'm glad you did. I wanted to come," Steve quickly reassured me. "I have never met him, obviously, but I like to come here when I get the chance. In here I can be close to him."
"What was his name?"
"Steven McGarrett."
"Oh, you got named after him. No pressure," I smiled.
"Exactly."
"What was his story?" I walked to Steve and grabbed him around his waist as other visitors passed us by mostly trying to find the perfect angle for taking photo into their family album.
"Until last year we didn't know much about what happened to him. All we knew was that he died during the attacks and that he was posthumously awarded with Purple heart.
Last year I had a case when one of the last surving members of the attacks got killed and as five-0 investigated I met a filmmaker who was interviewing all the sailors who survived for the 75th anniversary.
He called me few days later, said that he connected the dots after hearing my name.
He sent me footage in which one of the sailors was talking about my grandfather. He said he saw him run back to the ship when it was in flames to help carry out wounded soldiers but he never saw him come back again."
"That's impressive Steve."

I turned and looked down to see the ship. I saw 1 part reaching above water.