NINE.

"fate awaits for me to break your heart in two"

-

NINE.

CADY SIGHS IN BLISS AS SHE DIPS INTO THE LAKE OUT BEHIND ASLAN'S HOW. The trees shield the river from other people's sight and it's perfect for a soak. Cady washes the grime off herself and ducks into the water.

The water is like a cold embrace, holding her tight safely. It reminds Cady of her mother, of how she would come home and speak of tales of underwater kingdoms. "It's my home, my darling," she would say. "One day you'll see it too."

"Mind if I join you?" A voice snaps through her reminiscing and Cady spins, turning to see Edmund in his shorts, putting down his towel on a branch nearby.

"Just don't look." Cady nods, sinking into the water with only her head above the surface.

Edmund only smirks before he dives in, creating ripples of waves that cause Cady to giggle and she rides the waves as she goes underwater.

Her hair feels clean when she breaks through the surface, grinning as Edmund swims towards her.

"What do you think is going to happen tonight?" He asks, staring up at the stars.

"I don't know," Cady replies, dragging a hand through her hair in an attempt to untangle the knots. "I hope everything goes as planned."

He stares at her with a ghost of a smile on his face before shaking his head quickly, beads of water flying from his dark hair.

Cady holds up her hands with a small shriek of surprise, shielding the water from her face. Edmund chuckles before getting out of the water and ducking behind a tree, taking his clothes with him.

Cady makes sure that he is out of sight before she emerges from the lake, kicking her feet up as she wraps a towel around herself.

Cadu pulls on her riding pants before shimmying into her dress, arranging it so that the slit will allow her legs to move easier. She pulls on a loose shirt of chainmail and pulls a leather vest over the woven metal shirt.

There is a cough behind her and she turns to find Edmund holding out her boots for her.

"Thanks," Cady says, taking her boots from him.

Edmund is smiling shyly when she finishes dressing, taking her towel from the side and standing up.

"Just in case something goes wrong, I don't want to regret not doing this," Edmund says as they start walking back to the How.

Cady tilts her head at him in confusion. "Do what?"

Edmund reaches towards her until his fingers brush against her cheek.

He has never touched her before, not like this, not intimate like this.

Cady freezes, her eyes widening. Edmund carefully brushes her hair away from her face. Her heart is thundering in her chest. And he leans forward, curling his fingers along the curve of her jaw until he finds her pulse point with his fingertips and the dip behind her ear.

He tilts her face up and captures her lips with his.

Edmund kisses her slowly, hesitantly. Her eyes flutter close, breath catching and lips parting to move against his. Her eyes immediately flutter close for reasons she can not justify, and she grabs his shirt and pulls him closer.

He kisses her a moment longer and removes his hand. And the heat on her lips disappears as fast as it appeared.

"Edmund?" She breathes, drawing air greedily into her lungs. He has stolen her breath, body, and soul so easily.