SEVENTEEN.

"we know we're going into something already doomed"

-

SEVENTEEN.

"TO BERUNA, TO THE BRIDGE!" Lord Sopespian commands, leading the Telmarines' retreat to their newly built wooden bridge. Cady and the others chase after them, hot on their heels as they flee from the trees.

All of a sudden, just as the Telmarines are approaching the beachy shore of Beruna, they come to an abrupt pause before the water. Peter gestures to them to stop as well, and Cady lowers her sword slightly, watching the final line of the Telmar troops hesitate in their steps as if they are debating whether to attack or not.

From afar, Cady spots Lucy on the other side of the bridge, so she's the reason the Telmarines have stopped. She turns to Edmund, exchanging a grin.

Lucy pulls out her dagger, the queen daring Lord Sopespian to attack. But what truly sends a shiver down Cady's back is the emergence of a majestic lion, the Great Lion, joining Lucy's side on the other shore.

There is a deafening silence for a moment before Lord Sopespian raises his sword and shouts, "Charge!"

The soldiers do as they are told, rushing their way across the bridge and treading through the water, trying to get to the opposite side as fast as possible. The calvary take the bridge, charging forward with their swords and spears raised at Lucy and Aslan.

Then, the Great Lion roars.

The force of his roar ripples through the water, causing Lord Sopespian to recoil and halt his horse. The Telmarines stop in their tracks, watching as the water level drops shallow.

A loud water crash from the end of the Ford of Beruna catches her attention, and she looks over to see a large wave rolling towards the bridge, growing bigger and bigger as it comes closer. Cady relishes in the spray of water when the wave crashes past her.

"Back! Back!" Lord Sopespian yells, swinging his arms frantically as he commands his troops to retreat. The Telmarines break into anxious cries, dashing back to shore. But it is no use.

The water rises to form the shape of a man, and the River God Bacchus rises from its depths. He reaches under the bridge, pulling the bridge up and ripping it apart. Bacchus watches when Lord Sopespian desperately attempts to fight back the god, swinging his sword without care as Bacchus tilts the broken bridge.

Then Bacchus crashes forward, taking the Telmar lord with him as he washes away the remnants of the bridge down the river.

Victorious cries burst from the Narnians around her, and Cady feels a burst of disbelief and happiness as thankful shouts and delighted cheers emerge from the crowd around her.

Beside her, Edmund's expression splits into a satisfied smile. Above the noise, Cady catches his eyes and he turns to her, looking down with a curious look. "So, how much did you count?" He asks.

"I lost count," Cady admits.

"Me too," he tells her.

Edmund draws close, and then, before she can say anything, one of his hands slide around her waist and his lips capture hers.

Kissing Edmund Pevensie is easy, she thinks to herself.

Her fingers reach up and tangle into his brown curls, and she is hungrily kissing him back, pulling him closer. Her fingers comb through his hair, twisting and tugging at it, deepening the kiss. He wraps his arm around her to steady them, his palm flat against her lower back and sliding up her spine as he memorises the feeling of her body pressing against his hand.

When he finally pulls away, she can only smile as she catches her breath, trying to collect herself.

A few steps across, Caspian makes ridiculous gagging sounds at them and Cady turns to smack him on the shoulder. "Stop it, Caspian!"

"Get a room," Peter teases, rolling his eyes at them. Despite that, he cannot hide the smile on his face.

"Shut up," Edmund replies, and when he pulls Cady in to keep her close to him, she lets the knowledge that the battle is finally over sink in.

x

"SURRENDER YOUR WEAPONS!"

"You will not be harmed!"

The Narnians are quick to work, guiding the Telmarines to drop their weapons and lose their armour.

Cady trods across the river towards Aslan, gathering in front of the Great Lion with the others. She takes a deep breath, and drops to her knees, bowing in front of Aslan in unison.

"Rise, Kings and Queens of Narnia," Aslan says.

Peter, Susan, and Edmund all stand up.

"All of you," he adds, pointedly.

Caspian and Cady exchange a glance. "I do not think I am ready," her older brother says, confusion flitting across his face.

"It is for that very reason, I know you are," Aslan replies.

Caspian stands up as well, and that leaves only Cady kneeling on the shore. She is second to the throne, and that makes her a princess, not a queen.

"That includes you, Cadence," Aslan says with a smile.

Cady looks up at him, unable to cover the look of surprise that crosses her features. Then, she nods, and stands up with a grateful smile.

There is a sound of bagpipes behind them and Cady turns to find a group of mice holding a mouse on a small stretcher they carry amongst them.

It is Reepicheep who lies there.

Lucy dashes forward, bringing her cordial to the mouse's mouth and pouring a drop in.

The mouse wakes with a deep breath, blinking groggily. "Thank you, your majesty," he expresses.

Lucy beams with pride as Reepicheep stands up, and he gasps when he sees Aslan in front of them. Stammering over his words, he says, "Hail, Aslan! It is a great honour to be in–"

He stumbles, turning around desperately as he realises that his tail is gone. "I'm completely out of countenance!" Reepicheep covers his bottom in embarrassment, his voice wavering. "I must crave your indulgence for appearing in this unseemly fashion!"

The mouse turns to Lucy, asking hopefully, "Perhaps a drop more?"

"I don't think it does that," Lucy replies, shaking her head sadly.

"You could have a go," Reepicheep offers, pressing on.

Aslan chuckles in amusement. "It becomes you well, small one."

"All the same, great king," Reepicheep says. "I regret that I must withdraw, for the tail is the honour and glory of the mouse."

Aslan laughs again, and the poor mouse struggles to explain the great need for a tail when Reepicheep's troop of a dozen mice offer to give up their tails alongside Reepicheep losing his.

When Reepicheep's tail grows back, Cady is glad that she isn't the only one who gasped at the sudden miracle. Aslan has granted him a new tail for the love of their people.

The mouse bows, saying, "Thank you, my liege."

Aslan nods towards him before turning to Lucy. "Now, where is this Dear Little Friend you've told me so much about?"

Cady turns to look over at Trumpkin, who is helping out by the water, collecting incoming Telmarines' swords.

As if he knows they are staring, the dwarf turns to look at them hesitantly, then he walks towards them and kneels in front of Aslan.

The Great Lion roars and Trumpkin flinches back.

"Do you see him now?" Lucy questions teasingly, a bright smile lighting up her face.

Trumpkin nods, smiling sheepishly.