[17]

"It started out as a feeling, which then grew into a hope."

-

[17]

I stood slightly behind Caspian as he addressed the crowd, "Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man. Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," a man in the crowd spoke up.

"We're not referring to Telmar," I said, turning to Aslan.

"Your ancestors were seafaring brigands, Pirates run aground on an island," Aslan stated. "There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world."

Aslan looked over at the Pevensies, "The same world as our kings and queens."

"It is to that island I can return you," Aslan took a few steps forward. "It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

There was a murmuring in the crowd until Glozelle spoke up, "I'll go, I will accept the offer."

I bowed my head at him, even though he fought alongside the Telmarines, he's still a wonderful and respected general. Glozelle bowed his head back, the crowd parting as he walked up to us.

"So will we," our Aunt Prunaprismia stepped forward with her father. She held our baby cousin in her arms and Caspian and I moved aside so that they could speak with Aslan.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world should be good," Aslan spoke, he blew gently at them before turning to the majestic tree.

It twisted on it's own and its trunk parted into a doorway. The crowd stirred, staring at the doorway that leads to nothingness.

I exchanged a glance with my aunt, bowing my head. She smiled weakly at me. I stepped forward to her, "I hope my cousin will have a wonderful life on the other side."

"Thank you," she dipped her head before following Glozelle.

I watched as they walked through the doorway and disappeared.

"Where did they go?"

"They killed them!"

"How do we know he's not leading us to our deaths?"

Reepicheep stepped up, "Sire, if my example can be any of service. I will take 11 mice through with no delay."

Aslan said nothing except to turn to the Pevensies.

"We'll go," Peter said.

"We will?" Edmund frowned.

"Come on, our times up," Peter looked at his siblings and turned to me and Caspian. "After all, we're not really needed here anymore."

Peter held out his sword to Caspian, who grasped it tightly, "I will look after it until you return."

"I'm afraid that's just it," Susan said. "We're not coming back."

"We're not?" Lucy looked at her dumbfounded.

"You two are," Peter walked back to stand beside Susan. "At least, I think he means you two."

"But why? Did they do something wrong?" Lucy's eyes widened in worry.

"Quite the opposite, dear one," Aslan's voice softened for Lucy. "But all things have their time. Your brother and sister have learned what they can from this world, now it's time for them to live on their own."

I exchanged a glance with Edmund.

"It's alright, Lu," Peter smiled. "It's not how I thought it would be, but it's all right. One day you'll see too, come on."

Edmund avoided my eyes as he stepped forward to me, "Cady, I-"

I pulled him into a hug, wrapping my arms around his neck, "Just come back to me, alright?"

He smiled, returning the hug, "I promise."

I kissed his cheek, "I'll be here."

He pulled away, "I know."

I moved to Peter next, who waved me into a hug.

I laughed, wrapping my arms around his waist. How is he so tall? "I'll miss you too," I smiled.

He grinned cheekily, "Try not to die before they come back, okay? You're like a sister to me at this point."

"Of course, my magnificent brother," I curtsied.

He ruffled my hair and I swatted his hand away, turning to Lucy.

"I'm going to miss you so much," Lucy's voice cracked as she tackled me into a hug.

"Me too," I said into her hair.

"I'll see you soon, I promise," Lucy said determinedly.

"I know," I grinned before moving to stand next to Aslan.

We watched as Susan approached Caspian, they exchanged a few words before Susan stepped forward and kissed him.

I smirked at my brother as the two hugged.

He grinned at me when they finally broke apart. More teasing for me.

Edmund was the first to walk through, he didn't look back, he's not the type to.

I stared as the Pevensies disappeared back into their world through the doorway.

Caspian wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I grasped his hand. "He'll come back, I know he will," Caspian said to me.

"I know, he promised."

More people filed through into the doorway and by the time nobody wanted to leave, a quarter of the crowd was gone.

I held Caspian's hand as we strolled down the streets towards the castle.

"Your majesties!" A faun greeted us by the gates.

"Hello," we said back, dipping our heads at him.

"My queen, King Edmund left this behind," he held up the torch, handing it to me.

"Thank you," I smiled, holding it protectively over my chest.

"What is it?" Caspian asked, eyeing the torch nervously.

"It's light without a flame," I grinned. "I'm keeping this until he gets back."

"You do that, Cady, you do that." My brother laughed.