FOURTEEN.

"give me your love to use"

-

FOURTEEN.

CADY RETURNS TO THE HOW IN A RAGE OF FURY. "Caspian!" She shouts, sweeping through the chamber like the rush of a wave crashing down.

Edmund's steps behind her quicken. "Cady, let's think this through before you strangle your brother." Even his voice of reason is a blur as she hunts for her brother amongst the Narnians.

"Cady? What–"

She doesn't let him finish his sentence, dragging him by his arm to a nearby corridor when the commotion draws the Narnians' curious eyes towards them.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Cady asks. She tries to keep a brave face, to be angry at her brother for keeping a secret from her, to scowl and attack, but her face scrunches up in an attempt to hold back tears.

Caspian falls silent, and she pushes him gently, unable to muster up the strength. She is tearing up now, tears swelling up in her eyes. Then Caspian speaks up, "Cads, I'm sorry."

"For what? Not telling me how Miraz murdered our father in his sleep?"

Caspian sighs, hands tangling in his hair, a habit that only shows when he is nervous. "I should have told you when we returned from Telmar Castle, but then you and Peter fought and we found out you're Narnian, and you got hurt because of me and I couldn't bring myself to–"

"Stop rambling!" She hisses, teeth bared as she blinks through angry tears. "Did you know how I found out?" Her voice is a dangerous snarl, and she doesn't wait for him to reply. "I had to find out from Miraz! Not from my own brother who knew but the tyrant king who committed the sin. He humiliated me, brother, in front of those horrid lords and generals and Edmund!"

Caspian steps closer, pulling her into a warm hug. "I'm sorry."

Cady finds herself breaking in his embrace, unable to form words as she cries into her brother's chest with wretched sobs and that have her legs giving way. If it weren't for Caspian holding her, she would've fallen to the ground.

"It's not your fault, Cads, don't do this to yourself. You adored him so much since you were a kid, I couldn't bring myself to tell you."

Cady can't focus properly. "How could he!"

"Cady, Cadence!" He shakes her. "It's all in the past now. You need to focus, the duel is tomorrow and I need you to survive the coming war."

Summoning her strength, Cady manages a nod.

"Miraz may keep his promise but there's no telling what the Telmar Lords will do," Caspian says.

"We Telmarines would have nothing had we not taken it," Cady replies, nails digging into the skin of her palms. "We're taking it all back. For Narnia."

x

THE NEXT MORNING COULDN'T COME QUICKLY ENOUGH. And before she knows it, Cady is strapping on her armour over her green dress: a leather corset-like vest and a chainmail tunic with silver guards. Her pair of swords hang around her hips alongside Edmund's dagger.

"You look good wearing my flag," Edmund compliments, his eyes flitting to the red armband with the Narnian symbol etched in gold she dons around her upper arm.

Cady laughs quietly at his words, giving him a playful nudge as they leave the armoury. "What else was I supposed to wear?"

They approach Peter together, the High King fidgeting with his armour and grasping his sword tight. He's uncharacteristically nervous. "Peter," Cady calls, slowing to a stop before him. "Are you ready?"