FIVE.

"when the rhythm starts to play, dance with me, make me sway"

-

FIVE.

CADY'S ITCH FOR THE OCEAN HEIGHTENED AS PETER ROWED THE GROUP DOWN THE LAKE. Trumpkin guides the way as they follow current through the woods. Cady places a hand in the water and wishes for the burning sensation to leave. Edmund sits beside her, his leg bobbing up and down restlessly.

"They're so still," Lucy comments, gazing around the quiet forest.

"They're trees. What'd you expect?" Trumpkin replies with a deadpan.

"They used to dance," Lucy says sadly.

Trumpkin looks at Cady pointedly when he responds, "Wasn't long after you left that the Telmarines invaded."

"Those who survived retreated to the woods. And the trees, they retreated so deep into themselves that they haven't been heard from since," he adds.

"I don't understand. How could Aslan have let this happen?" Lucy questions. Cady's urge to throw a history book at the young girl grows as Lucy fires question after question nonstop.

"Aslan? He's real?" There is so much hope in Cady's voice when she turns to Edmund.

Edmund nods, a shadow of a smile on his face, "He's glorious and so, so radiant."

Trumpkin snorts. "Aslan? Thought he abandoned us when you lot did."

"We didn't mean to leave, you know," Peter answers after a long pause.

Trumpkin avoids the Pevensies' gaze and stares off into the distance, "Makes no difference now, does it?"

"Get us to the Narnians, and it will," Peter states in a matter-of-fact way.

Cady's legs wobble when they arrive at the shore, everything in her yearns for the feeling of submerging into the ocean. It is absolute agony yet there is a sense of relief in her. At that moment, only Caspian matters, she has to get to Caspian.

Trumpkin jumps off and anchors the boat into the rocky sand. The rest of them follow, and Susan helps Edmund and Peter pull the boat further into the shore.

Lucy wanders off on her own, having spotted a giant black bear in the far end of the beach. "Hello, there!"

Cady looks over at her, watching as the young girl continues to speak to the creature, walking towards it without a sense of caution. "It's alright, we're friends."

The black bear lets out a loud grunt, making its way over to them.

"Don't move, your majesty!" Trumpkin shouts at Lucy, taking his bow and arrows from his quiver. The bear starts bounding towards the young girl and Cady immediately grabs her dagger, already running forwards to protect the girl.

"Stay away from her!" Susan shouts from behind, her bow and arrow at the ready.

Lucy stumbles a few paces before the bear, falling onto the ground with a terrified scream.

"Shoot, Susan! Shoot!" Cady can hear Edmund's shouts from behind her.

Cady makes a move to dive in front of Lucy, shielding the girl as she brings her dagger upwards, slashing the bear without hesitation. Blood splatters across her dress and there is a sharp whoosh sailing across the air. When she looks up, Cady finds an arrow lodged itself into the bear and snaps her head up to find Trumpkin in an archer's stance.

"Why wouldn't he stop?" Susan asks, worry lacing her tone.

Cady helps Lucy up, saying, "I suspect he was hungry."