The Start of Nationals

I kept taking deep breathes. I have never been so nervous in my life. This is my first National competition and my mom's not going to be here. I don't know if I can do this. Everyone staring at me, just waiting to laugh when I fall on my ass. I took another deep breath I started applying some blush on my cheeks.

"Knock, knock," Tina said as she stood behind me.

"Hey," I said awkwardly. Tina and I haven't talked that much since her little outburst. I grabbed my necklace and tried to clasp it around my neck but I was struggling.

"Here, let me." Tina grabbed the necklace and clasped it. I gave her a nervous smile through the mirror.

"Thanks," I muttered. I thought Tina would have left but she didn't. I still feel a bit awkward being around her so I got up. "I'll, um, I'll see you out there."

I turned to leave. "Wait, Maze." I looked at her. "I never really apologized for what I said to you. I was angry and jealous. I shouldn't have taken it out on you. You're an amazing friend for encouraging Rachel like that. And I'm sorry for saying all that stuff about your makeup career. You're a great makeup artist. I've seen those prosthetics you put on when you try to create a certain look. Directors would be lucky to have you on their team."

My mouth opened a few times. I never thought Tina would apologize to me. "Gee, thanks, Tina." And I don't really know what to do at this point. "Should we hug or..." Tina smiled before she hugged me. "Ok, we're hugging."

At least Mercedes recovered and could take her place. I don't think I would have done the Trouble Tones' number like she can. Don't get me wrong, I want to sing with the girls since it's their last year but I don't think I could have handled taking Mercedes place.

"And don't be nervous," Tina said when we separate. "You're going to do great."

》》》》

We took our places on stage. I'm going to do great. I have to remember why I'm doing this and who I'm doing this for. I'm doing this for Mr. Shue for being the best teacher I've ever had in a lifetime. I'm doing this for my mom. Even though she's not here, I know she would have said she's proud of me. I'm doing this for the New Directions, who are my second family. I'm doing this for Sebastian, who I wouldn't have met if it wasn't for the New Directions. And I'm doing this for myself.

"Way to end the year, huh," Kurt said as he stood next to me.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"But at least we're here together," Finn added as he stood at my other side. He wrapped his arm around me before he grabbed Kurt. "I couldn't have asked for better siblings." I smiled at Finn as I wrapped my arms around them. "And now that you two are standing so close, I could see the resemblance."

"Yeah, I love how I get to spend the rest of the year with you," Kurt smiled. "And even though we missed pulling each others hair and calling each other names doesn't mean that I'm going to miss the rest of your life. I'll be there when you go to college. When Sebastian messes up and you need someone to rant to. I'll text every day. Skype you every night."

Finn furrowed his brows. "Doesn't that seem a bit much?"

I chuckled. "No. It's perfect."

The light above us flashed as the announcer's voice spoke over the P.A. "Please welcome our first contestants, from William McKinley High School in Lima, Ohio, the New Directions!"

"Good luck," we all whispered to each other before we ran to our positions.

The curtain raises as Santana and a few of the girls took lead while I stood next to Mercedes. My eyes found Sebastian and another smile came to my face when I found Elliott walking down the aisle. Sebastian stood up and made room for Elliot to sit next to him. He came, too.