Chapter 2: I'm gonna get a Beatin'

Annabeth's POV

I was walking home from school, thinking about how I got back at the ignorant Percy Jackson. It felt really good to get him back. The dude has no life, and barely knows how to read! I mean, I can say that because I have ADHD and dyslexia, too. So it's not like it's impossible to get good, he just doesn't try. What a loser.

Ugh, what am I saying? I'm acting like a bitch. I hate it. But, it's the only way not to get bullied.

I was dreading to go home because of my step-mother Helen. I got away with not getting slapped this morning. Now I'm getting something probably 10 times worse. I hesitated at the doornob, but opened the door. Helen looked like she was about to put a bullet in me, but I had the twins with me. 

"Hey boys, go upstairs for a minute. I need to talk to Annabeth." She said with her teeth clenched. We glared at eachother. Bobby and Matthew scurried upstairs. I tried to keep a brave face on, but I was terrified inside.

"You little slut. You really think you can keep Frederick away from me? I don't think so." She slapped me hard and I fell to the ground. Her fake nails clung to my skin for a split second, then ripped them out. The right side of my face stung and turned numb. I instantly regretted asking to spend time with my dad earlier this morning.

"Little bitch. You're worthless." And with that, she jabbed the heel part of her high heel into my leg. I screamed as the heel went in two inches, then got ripped out. There was a big pool of blood on my thigh. I army-crawled to the door. Helen left me to go. I somehow stood up and limped out the door with tears strolling down my face. As I walked out, I could already feel the sprinkles of a september storm. I didn't really care, I just wanted to get out of there. I knew there was only place I could go.