Chapter 10: It didn't Work

Annabeth's POV
I ran into Percy's room to find his phone. It was laying on his bed, and was still on. It was on my contact and it read Annabeth. He was about to call me. I began to sob. It was my fault. He tried to kill himself because of me. I held the phone up to my chest and cried. Once I managed to pull myself together, I scrolled to his contacts to Sally. I clicked on the name Mom. Right then, I heard the front door open. I jumped up and ran through the hallway.

"Hello?" Sally called out into the nearly empty apartment.

"Hey Sally, it-it's Annabeth." I turned the corner.

"Oh hey Annabeth! I didn't expect this. How are you?" She sounded so happy. I bursted out crying. She has no idea.

"Are you ok honey?" Sally said concerned. She sat down her purse on the counter and rushed over to me.

"Percy may h-have over-overdosed." I whispered, looking into her eyes.

"What?" She said with a confused face. It was silent except for my cries.

"Sally, he tried to kill himself." I said louder. Her face fell.

"We need to go to the hospital." I cried.

"Oh my god, oh my god." She clenched her hair, and saw tears start to form in her eyes as she began to process.

"Oh my god Annabeth." She rasped.

"Is he ok?"

"I mean he's not dead, but they said to not have high hopes." My lip trembled. She cried, and I ran to her and engulfed her in a hug. We cried together.

"Let's go to the hospital, and I'll try to explain everything."

--------

It was the worst car ride of my life, having to retell everything to Percy's grieving mother. I told her about how he was next to a bunch of pills, and he wouldn't wake up. I don't know how that woman could drive through that, but she somehow managed to. Now we were sitting in the hospital waiting room, waiting to see what happens to Percy. Sally and I held hands. Surprisingly, she didn't ask about Gabe. I wonder what was up with that. It was all to much to handle. I soon realized that Helen had no idea where I was at.

"I have to make a call real quick." I said to Sally. I got up from my seat and walked outside. I opened up my phone and called Helen.

"Where the fuck are you?" I clenched my jaw.

"My friend Percy tried to kill himself. I'm at the hospital."

"You better get your ass home." She hissed.

"Did you not just hear a goddamn word I said?" I yelled.

"That's it. I'm coming over there." She hung up the phone. I stormed back inside and slumped into the chair next to Sally's.

"Is everything ok?" She asked. I laughed. I couldn't help it.

"Sally, this is the most far from 'ok' that I'll ever be." She gave a weak smile. I sighed.

"I'm so sorry. This is all my fault." Tear blurred my vision.

"Annabeth, none of this is your fault. If it is anyones fault, it's mine. I should have seen the signs sooner." She choked. I wrapped my arms around her.

"Don't blame yourself for this. You are the best mother a son could ask for. Hell, you're the closest to a mother that I've ever had." I said.

"Thank you. It really means a lot." I bit the inside of my cheek nervously. Suddenly, the doors of the waiting room burst open. In came the evil step-mother herself, Helen. I immediatly stood up from my seat and faced toward her.

"I told you I'm not going anywhere." I shouted from across the room. She snarled and began to stomp over to me. Helen had a look of rage in her eyes. I closed my eyes and waited for the usual slap to the face, when Sally stepped in front of me.

"She's with me, and probably will be for a couple days. I have been through Hell tonight, so I suggest you leave and don't try and argue with me." I stared in awe at Sally. No one had ever sticked up for me like that. Helen opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out. Sally raised an eyebrow. Helen glared at me one last time before stomping out of the room. I relaxed my chest.

"No one has ever stuck up for me like that. Thank you so much, Sally." She turned back towards me.

"Of course." She smiled. A doctor burst through the door and came straight towards us.

"He's gonna make it." He took a deep breath. Me and Sally hugged in excitement.

"Only family can see him right now." My face fell. Sally looked at me, then the doctor.

"She's family." I looked up and smiled at her. The doctor also smiled.

"Room 304."

We walked through the door and saw Percy in a hospital bed with his eyes closed. I shifted my eyes to the heart monitor, and it looked stable. I let a sigh. I pulled a chair over next to his bed. I studied his face. It had bruises and cuts all over it. I forrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I thought...he tried to overdose.

"Oh no..." I whispered beneath my breath as I realized. Luckily, Sally didn't hear. Gabe gave him those. That's probably what pushed him. I grabbed Percy's hand, and stroked my thumb against it. It was vainy and strong. I slumped back in my chair. What a love triangle. Shut up conscious. I'm with Luke. Speaking of, I pulled out my phone and checked my messages. Luke had been texting me non-stop, wondering where I was at. I rolled my eyes. Clingy much? I scrolled through my contacts list to Jason's name. I had completely forgot I had his number.

"I'll be right back." I said to Sally. I walked out the door. Jason deserves to know what was going on. I had only met him one time, but I could tell him and Percy were close.

"Hello?" A deep voice answered.

"Uh, hey Jason. It's Annabeth."

"The hell do you want? Do you know what you did to my bestfriend?" I didn't say anything. My eyes began to swell with tears again.

"Jason, I-I didn't know." I bit my lip.

"Why did you call me?" He said coldly. I sighed.

"You might wanna sit down for this."

"Why, what's wrong?" His tone changed completley.

"Percy tried to kill himself. He swallowed a bunch of pills and I found him unconscious when I was going to pick up notes for school." I rambled.

"What? I thought...oh my god. Is he ok?" He said in disbelief.

"Yeah, he's barely alive. He's in the hospital. You should come tomorrow and see him."

"I will." He hung up the phone. I slowly put my phone back in my pocket and walked back in to my chair.

"Hmm." Percy groaned. I stood back up.

"Percy?" I asked. Sally stood up beside me.

"Percy it's me." She said. Suddenly, his eyes fluttered open.

"Percy!" We both said at the same time.

"Mom? Annabeth?" He sat up. He looked between us, confused then smiled. A tear fell from his face, and he excitedly said

"It didn't work."