Chapter 26: Just Don't

Annabeth's POV

I spent the rest of Christmas break by Percy's side, driving myself crazy about what Helen was planning next. But on Monday, There were no signs of Helen or her guards. Same with Tuesday; no signs of her. I don't know if she's been trying to drive the seven of us wild, but it's working. I'm uneasy about going anywhere by myself, even at school. The other annoying thing that has been happening since the return of school is Rachel. She decided to try and get Percy back, and she's been drooling all over him. I guess Percy forgot what she did to him, and is now tolerating her presence. The worst part is that he is completely oblivious to the fact that she's flirting with him, and that it's been upsetting me. I know he doesn't like her and he loves me, but still! She needs to take the hint.

 Percy has his first swim competition since his shoulder injury tonight, and he's really excited to be back in the water. Everyone knows he is going to win, but we'll still be there to cheer him on. 

*BRRING*

That was the bell signaling that the school day is over. I put my books in my locker, and then I shut the locker door. Standing behind the locker door was Seaweed Brain himself. 

"Why hello there." I said surprised.

 "Hey Wise Girl." Percy said leaning against the back of the locker. I looked into his sea-green eyes, right into the dark blue around the iris. 

"You're just so excited for tonight, aren't you?" I smiled. 

"You don't even know!" He squealed.

"We should catch up with the others." I said, pulling away. He grabbed my hand and we walked toward the exit. 

We had dinner at Percy's place, then went back to the school. Piper, Jason, Leo, Frank, and Hazel are all going to the swim meet. I'm pretty sure Rachel will be there too, which I'm not looking forward to.

We pulled up to the school and I got out of the car and wrapped an arm around Percy. There was a slight snow-fall, and it was very cold. 

"It's gonna suck when you have to come out here wet and cold." I said. 

"Hmph. Didn't even think about that...yeah that's gonna be miserable." He said looking around. He hopped in front of me and got the door. I thanked him and I went inside. That's when the smile disappeared from my face. I saw Rachel standing outside the door waiting for Percy. 

"Hey Annabeth!" She said.

 "Hi." I said quickly walking away. I saw Piper come out of the bathroom, and I rushed to her. 

"Hey Annabeth." She greeted me smiling. 

"Hi." I said. She studied me. 

"Why are you upset?" Piper asked. I sighed, and nodded my head toward Rachel's direction. Piper looked over my shoulder. She clicked her tongue. 

"I see." 

"Will she ever take the hint?" I yelled in a whisper. I turned around to see Percy talking to her. They seemed to be having a great conversation, and Rachel kept touching him. That made me super jealous. Percy finally caught me staring at him and Rachel, and he said bye to Rachel and then walked over to me.

 "Hi." I said avoiding eye contact. 

"Well, uh, I actually have to change and get ready. So, um... I guess I'll see you soon." He said looking at the time. 

"Kay bye." Percy frowned but jogged off.

 "You are a total bitch. You are clearly upsetting him." Piper laughed. I shrugged then let out a sigh. 

"I guess I am being a little harsh." I said as we walked to the pool. We walked into the pool area to the bleachers. Everyone greeted me and I sat next to Jason and Piper. I saw Percy come out of the locker room with nothing but a speedo. I'm pretty sure my heart rate sky-rocketed. He had such an athletic body, it was totally amazing. I looked away blushing. Piper playfully nudged my arm and moved her eyebrows up and down two times.

"I hate you." I said jokingly. Piper laughed. My face darkened a I saw Rachel with a seductive smile on her face. Percy waved at me and I waved back. He went to his lane, and started to talk to the person beside him. After about 2 minutes, the race finally began. They all took off pretty fast, but Percy had the early lead. Everyone cheered loudly for Percy, who was dominating everyone else. I suddenly had the urge to go to the bathroom. I knew by the time I get back, the race will be over. After squirming around for a while, I finally gave up and decided to answer nature's call. I shamefully got up and headed towards the restrooms.

 I told myself walking back to the pool. I opened the double doors, and my heart stopped. Rachel was kissing Percy.

I stood there in shock, then tears blurred my vision. Percy quickly pushed away Rachel. He ran over to me.

"Really?" 

"Annabeth I can explain-"

 "I think it's pretty clear what I saw Percy." I said turning away back out the doors of the pool. Percy followed me, still sopping wet and in a speedo. He grabbed my arm, and I quickly snapped around and looked harshly into his eyes, which were now starting to water. 

"Just don't." I glared at him for one more second, then I yanked my arm free. I grabbed the bracelet he had gotten me and whipped it off my wrist. His eyes widened at the sight. I clenched my jaw and threw the jewelry on the ground. I turned around to the doors, leaving Percy dumbfounded and alone in the hallway. My mind was still trying to process what just happened. I shook my head and wiped a tear as I walked out into the cold, January night alone.