Chapter 27: Heartbreak

republishing because I decided to combine two chapters :)

Percy's POV

I don't know how it happened.

It all just came crashing down so fast, I didn't even know what was happening before me.

I went home and fell onto my bed. I guessed Annabeth went home with Piper or something, because she obviously wasn't here. I stared up at the ceiling as I laid flat on my bed. Once I thought about the events once more, I burst out crying.

*Flashback*

"And the winner is Percy Jackson!" The announcer yelled. I hopped out of the water and the crowd cheered. I had a big smile on my face. My coach put a gold medal around my neck. I absorbed the moment for a little longer, then I rushed back to the bleachers. I walked over to where everybody was. They all patted me on the back and said I did a great job. 

"Thank you guys for coming. I really appreciate it." I looked around. 

"Hey, where is Annabeth?" I asked. 

"Bathroom." Piper answered. Just then, Rachel walked up to me. 

"Hey." She said. 

"Hi." I said ignoring her. I walked a little closer to the doors to see if Annabeth was back. 

"You did really good out there." She said staring at me. I blinked, not paying very much attention.

 "Very...good." She said in a different tone. I scrunched my eyebrows together in disgust. Rachel stepped closer.

 "Rachel, what are you-" I was cut off by her kissing me. I was so shocked I couldn't move. When I finally regained myself, I pushed her away from me. 

"What are you thinking?" I yelled. I looked up to see Annabeth standing just outside of the doorway with tears in her eyes. I rushed over to her, but she quickly turned away. 

"Really?" She yelled crossing her arms.

"Annabeth, I-I can explain-" I said, still in shock. 

"Well it looked pretty clear to me what is going on." She snapped back at me. She had her back turned away from me, and walked out of the room. 

"Annabeth-" I said grabbing her arm. She whipped around and stared coldly into my eyes. I felt a sob in the back of my throat.

 "Just don't." She said glaring at me. I saw her reach down to her wrist and angrily pull the bracelet I had got her off. My heart dropped as she threw the gift into the ground. I felt my heart shatter at the bracelet laying on the ground, the gold glinting in the light. She finally turned around and walked out of the exit, leaving me dumbfounded and alone, with a tear rolling down my cheek.

*The next day*

Even though it's only been a couple of hours, I've been a total wreck without her. I kept the her bracelet in my pocket, but it only brought pain. Everyone is trying to talk to me, but I just shut them down. I'm ultimately depressed, and keep my hood up and just keep to myself. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? 

Annabeth and I sometimes make eye contact, and it's awkward. What makes the situation even more better is that we share lockers. Suuuper awkward there. In all seriousness, I miss her so much. Everytime I think about her, I just want to sob. I love her so much, and I wondered how it all went wrong so fast. Annabeth's eyes are always puffy from crying, which breaks my heart even more. What makes it worse is that Helen and her guards are still out there, waiting to attack. Now that Annabeth isn't by my side anymore, it makes it even more dangerous. And if they do attack, it's going to be a lot harder and awkward to fight.