Ayla ••• An Interrupted Dinner

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has read this book so far! As this is my first book, I am ecstatic people have been reading it! In conclusion, I would like to give a shout out to the amazing and truly magnificent Winter-Stallion for being my first voter ever!!! Thank you so much, Winter-Stallion, it means the world to me! :)  ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wind whipped at my long, curly, black hair, held in a high ponytail. Beating my wings harder, my soft pink lips curved upward as I gained speed, twisting and turning through the crowded trees. Faster and faster I went, the world a blur behind me. Laughing, I flew from the cover of trees into the city of starlight.

As always, Velaris was breathtaking. With a smile, I flew down to the Manor of Dreams, my home. My feet touched the ground, I pulled my stary wings back, resting them in a high confident position.

Pushing through the loving, worn, wooden doors, I swiftly and quietly made my way to my room.

Reaching my room, I undressed and slid into the bath. Scrubbing my self thoroughly, I daydreamed about my time flying through the forest. Flying was my absolute favorite thing to do. The wind against my face whispering its secrets to me, the freedom of the open air. It was life to me.

As my bath turned cold, I hoped out of the tub and dressed in my Illarian leathers. Combing my hair out, I left it down, allowing it to form in its natural curls. Keeping my face plain, I turned and headed to the dining hall.

Mother and Father were already there along with Uncle Cassian and Aunt Mor. Slipping into the room, I hugged them all and joined in on their conversation. Life was peaceful now that the war was so far away. I was born fifteen years after the war against Hybern, when our people were still recovering. I was only sixty now, still young for Fae standers.

Eventually, Uncle Azriel joined us, and we all sat down to enjoy dinner. We talked late into the night and laughed our wings off.

As our meal, came to a close we were interrupted by a loud rumbling that shook the earth. Everyone shot up from the seats, eyes wide, magic ready. As the rumbling abruptly stopped, Uncle Azriel sent his shadows out looking for the source.

The shadows set off and returned with answers. As they whispered their secrets, Azriel his eyes widen in worry.

"Well," Cassian interrupted impatient as always.

Azriel turned his wide hazel eyes to look into Cassian's own. With a whisper, he replied, "It came from Amren's."