Elentiya ••• A Balcony Conversation

Elentiya Pov:

The cold morning air played with my hair as I sat on the balcony railing, watching the city. It seemed so peaceful down there, so full of life. It was shockingly similar to Terrasen, the bright and loving air it gave about. My heart cracked a bit with homesickness. The Night Court had said they could help me get back home. Amren, or Manon's twin as I liked to think of her, knows how to open portals to my world, is the reason I'm in this strange new one.

I sighed and dipped my head back, closing my eyes, and letting the wind rush across my face. They were going to try and open another portal tomorrow when they got back from their High Lords and Lady's meeting. Apparently, when I fell through the portal this world started rumbling, alerting everyone to my presence. The other High Lords, and much to my frustration, no other High Ladies, had called the meeting to discuss the rumbling. The Night Court Gang was going to explain it to everyone else at the meeting and try to convince the other High Lords that they had the situation covered.

A knock sounded on my door, breaking my chain of thoughts. Mentally cursing my self for not hearing the person approach, my eyes fling open as my head snaps up. Looking over my shoulder I sniffed in the direction of the door. The smell of jasmine, sage, and a fresh breeze filled my nose; Ayla.

Ayla was the only member of the Night Court to stay behind. They needed someone to watch the city while they were gone, and even though they didn't say it aloud, they needed someone to watch me too. They had most likely chosen Ayla to stay because of our ages. At twenty and nineteen, Ayla being the former, they thought I would be more comfortable. It was honestly a smart decision. Since they knew nothing about the Fae in my world, they didn't want to take the chance that I had a human life span, and would be intimidated by someone unnaturally old in human standards.

I faced the city again and called, "Come in!"

The door opened without a creak, and near-silent feet made their way to me. Ayla swung onto the balcony ledge next to me, her beauty, once again, startling me. It was so different from those in my world. Her beauty was haunting and dark but shone like the stars in the night sky. No one in my world looked like her, and it was fascinating. But looking at her now, the first thing I noticed was her missing wings.

"Where the hell did your wings go!" I shout.

She laughed, her face lighting up as she did so. "No need to be so loud," she teased, "I'm half Illyrian and Fae. I don't know if you have Illyrians in your world, but they're a powerful species with rounded ears," her eyes darted to my mouth quickly, "And do not have elongated canines. However, all Illyrian's have wings," her face hardened as she continued, "but the female's wings are usually clipped, taking away their ability to fly." 

"Why?" I ask quietly.

She sighed and turned to face the city, "The Illyrians are a sexiest race, except for a select few," she added, no doubt referring to the other winged creatures at dinner, "The men are the warriors, the fighters. They clip the females' wings to prevent them from fighting, to keep them doing... chores. My family has been trying to change the Illyrian's ways since before I was born. It's better now, fewer clippings, but they still manage to find a way to sneak around and do it.

We were quite just looking at the city below us. I give her time not pressuring her to continue. I know it was not sadness that was stopping her from speaking, though the issue was undoubtedly sad, but anger, anger at what had been happening to the female Illyrians. Pure anger.

After a few minutes, Ayla runs a hand through her night-black hair and begins again, "My father is part Illyrian. My mother is fully Fae. As a result, I am both, just like my father. It gives me the ability to make my wings disappear when I want them to, and appear when I want them to.

"So your father can do the same?" She nodded. "What about Azriel and Cassian" 

She shook her head, "They are fully Illyrian, their wings are permanent." 

"Do you prefer to have your wings out?"

She smiled and tilted her head up to the sun, "Of course. They give me a sense of freedom I wouldn't trade for the world."

This time I nodded, "Why don't you have them out now?"

She laughed and lowered her head down, back to eye level with the city, "I thought it would make you uncomfortable, but clearly, it just led to more questions."

I took in the city again while saying plainly, "I like you better with the wings."

She blinked, her only sign of surprise and a second later, her wings appeared behind her. I turned to study them. They were around Azriel's size and dwarf her body, but still, hold gracefulness. Azriel's were the color of shadows and Ayla's are the color of the night sky. She shifted them to get comfortable causing the sun to dance across them, setting off highlights. The night sky filled with stars. It was an efforted not to touch them but I recalled what Azriel said and kept my hands by my side.

My admiring was cut short when Ayla spoke up, "Do you want to see the city?"

I looked at Velris. It truly was so much like Terrasen, but not the same. After a few moments, I made my decision. Turning to face those violet eyes I said, "I think I'd rather visit the Illyrians."