Chapter 7

"After seeing Jake that day at Taco Tango, I started seeing him everywhere. It was so ridiculous, I couldn't even slip out of class and use the bathroom without seeing him! Part of me got giddy whenever he was around, my first instinct to check my clothes and make sure my hair wasn't crazy.

But the other part of me, the louder, more rational part, knew he was bad news and that I didn't need anymore boy drama in my life. No, Evy gave me enough to stress about, so I usually did everything I could to ignore Jake, but one day he got me.

I was dipping out of school, it was a half day and Candy hadn't even shown up so I was bored and lonely. I had texted Evy to come pick me up so we could... hang... before my shift at the auto shop started. I had gotten the text from him that he was there so I hopped off the sink of the bathroom and began heading out of the school.

I was so close to being free, like literally almost at the doors, when someone grabbed my hand.

I spun around so quickly, ready to slap or at least curse out whoever touched me, but then I registered Jake's pretty face and a I froze. "Where are you skipping off too?" He asked, dropping my hand.

My skin tingled where he had touched me, it made me uncomfortable especially as the desire to hold his hand grew in me. "Why are you all in my business?" I snapped, crossing my arms under my chest, trying to rub off Jake's touch so my skin could relax.

His honey green eyes slowly took in my demeanor, he slipped his hands in his sweats pockets. "My bad, it was good seeing you at Taco Tango, all the times I've been and I never knew you worked there." He shook his head, seeming disappointed that he's never seen me before.

My phone buzzed in my back pocket, "I've gotta go." I said, discreetly checking him out in his sweat suit before turning on my heel.

"Wait," Jake stopped me before my back was completely to him, "Can I get your number?" He asked, head cocked in the cutest way, he almost made me smile.

So I knew I had to shut him down, "Nope." I chirped before damn near sprinting out of the school, I had to get away from Jake, he was threatening me-"

"-But how mommy? Dad seemed really nice and genuine." Ava frowned, making my gut twist.

"You've gotta see it from my perspective, Cookie. Yeah Jake was nice but a lot of guys were nice. They were nice so they could make you comfortable and then they'd expect something in return for their niceness and I wasn't going to let Jake play me like that." I tried to explain, but the look on Ava's face showed she didn't quite get it.

I patted her arm before continuing, "So I left Jake without a backward glance and ran out to Evy who was waiting on his bike.

He handed me a helmet without a word, I placed a kiss on his cheek with a whispered thank you before strapping up and hopping behind him.

Evy and I had an understanding, we weren't really friends, but we hung out because of what we could offer each other. He gave me candy while I gave him sugar, it was a win/win in my young naive head. I honestly thought nothing of it. So when we ended up at the auto shop, me perched on a work bench with Evy's dingy hands up my top and tongue down my throat, it was nothing new.

"Fuck, why are you wearing jeans?" He groaned, one hand drifting down to my hip and giving it a squeeze. "When are you going to let me between these thighs?" He asked, pulling back so we were eye to eye, nose to nose.

I swallowed, gripping his jumper and pulling him closer, making sure eye contact was strong. "Never," I whispered before pressing my mouth to his, I already slept with his cousin. I didn't do families so he was too little too late, besides, he gave me what I wanted for just a little kiss, no need to offer more.