Bonus 1: Jake Punches Shark

It was the most incredible thing seeing Avery back home, and by home I mean the Philippines. She's been bubbling with excitement since we got on the plane and her energy's only increased. My heart bloomed whenever I saw her smile and I damn near cried when I saw her reunite with her parents.

It's literally been years since she last saw her parents. But I finally caught a break and am making good money, and the first thing on my agenda was bring Avery home. I was excited too, it meant I could meet Ave's parents and ask her pops for her hand in marriage.

Sitting in her childhood bungalow, we at adobo and listened as Mrs. Lovelie Mendoza told stories of when Avery was a child. I missed some parts because Avery's mom, a Haitian woman, spoke Swahili, Tagalog and English and interchanged words at random.

Avery translated occasionally, which was surprising cause I hadn't even realized she spoke other languages. She never mentioned it to me at least.

"Ma! Stop, you're embarrassing me!" Avery laughed, cutting Lovelie off right as she was about to tell about the time Avery wanted to be a boy. My love turned to me, her eyes bright and whispered, "She's been waiting for years to get to spill all my dirt. Don't encourage her."

I leaned over and kissed her square on the mouth. I didn't mean to, but I was so fucking in love with that girl I couldn't help it.

Lovelie started clapping, "You two must marry," She deadpanned, making me smile.

Avery rolled her eyes, "Ma, chill-"

"-No, gusto ko ng mga apo. You two make beautiful watoto wachanga."

"She wants grandchildren. We'll make beautiful babies," Avery told me, before turning back to her mom. "Yes, our children will be gorgeous but we aren't having them anytime soon." She told her, picking up her empty bowl and taking her moms from her hand.

As she went to the kitchen, Mr. Ricardo Mendoza, an extremely quiet and small Filipino man, tapped my shoulder. When I looked he didn't say anything, just nodded for me to follow him. He led me outside.

The Mendoza home was built on a small patch of land surrounded by trees and near a lagoon. The house was built by Ricardo when him and Lovelie first moved to the Philippines after being run out of Haiti by Lovelie's family. (Cause even though Ricardo grew up in Haiti, he wasn't Haitian and Lovelie's fam wasn't with the shits).

Ricardo took me to the lagoon that made the land he acquired pretty lucrative. According to Ave, people have tried to buy and cheat her pa out of this land, but the man is hella smart and a lot crazy which is why they haven't moved since getting here.

"What are your plans for Avery?" Ricardo asked as soon as we stepped on to the sand.

I smiled immediately, more than prepared for this question, I was here to propose to the love of my life, after all. I looked Ricardo in the eye and said, "My plans are to propose during this trip and then marry her as soon as possible."

"What about money? Do you have a job?" He asked, eyes narrowing as he looked me over, "You seem soft. Do you know what hard work is? You must take care of Avery, she is precious. Isang hiyas." He elaborated, turning up the intimidation a million degrees.

Avery warned me not to get on Ricardo's bad side, because while a normally mild mannered man, again, he was a lot crazy. He just knows how to hide it well.

In that instant, I felt I found my kindred spirit. I slipped my hands into the pockets of my shorts and took in a deep breath. "Sir, I come from humble beginning but got a second chance. Ever since, I've fought for everything I've earned which includes a law degree and a job. I also just received a promotion and plan on making partner within the next five years.