Chapter 17

"Please tell me you called and apologized."

I snorted, lifting the lid of the stew and giving it a stir. "You've got a lot of faith in that bitch Avery." I muttered, turning and leaning against the counter next to the stove.

Ava sat at the island with a cup of juice, all ears for me to continue.

I laughed, cocking my head to the side as I thought, "I never called him..." Her face fell. "I don't even remember how-Oh! Oh," I held out the word as the memory came flooding to the forefront. "Wow."

"Wow what? Mommy! I can't read minds yet!"

I smiled at Ava cause she's so damn silly, I slipped my phone out of my pocket and set a timer for the stew before joining her at the island. I snatched her cup of juice and took a sip, she didn't mind, just wanted me to continue with the story.

I licked some drops off my lips and smiled, "It was because of Niall that we actually started talking again." I said, remembering that day so vividly. "I was so hurt by Jake that I reached out to Rissa who I hadn't spoken to all summer. I knew she'd be down to hang because she had dropped me for boys all the time. And I always let her crawl back in my life.

We decided to go to the mall, window shop, maybe steal an outfit or two. Nothing crazy."

Ava snorted.

"And so we had just left Victoria's Secret, me with a couple pairs of panties in my pocket, when we ran into the Cara boys. I had a moment of panic but then I realized Jake wasn't with them.

It was actually just Pete and Niall and they had giant ice cream cones.

"Avery?"

I blinked away the panic, "Hey Niall! Pete." I forced a smile, more for there sake.

Niall nudged Pete, "Told you she was miserable too."

I raised an eyebrow, "What are you talking about."

Pete sighed like the weight of the world was on his little shoulders. Niall took a big chomp of his ice cream and then burped, "You fucked with my brothers heart." He deadpanned, glaring at me, "So fuck you." Was all he said before nodding at Pete and both of them walking off.

My jaw dropped cause, in my head, Niall and I would always be cool. But as Rissa and I walked away, I realized those boys were so close, they'd never choose an outsider. And even though I had grown to consider them family over that summer, I did do Jake, they're real family, so damn dirty." I paused, staring into the cup. "Those boys are loyal to the max, okay?"

Ava nodded in agreement, cheek resting on her fist, totally consumed.

"So yeah, Niall told me off and I officially felt alone again. Rissa and I hung out a couple more times but we were both over it so we just stopped talking.

This was about a month later and I was in the kitchen making a bologna sandwich when my phone started ringing. My first instinct was to shut off the alarm I didn't remember setting because no one ever called me, but then I saw the photo I had made Jake's contact.

I watched it ring, contemplating wether to be petty or not, but then I decided I wanted to hear his voice so I answered. "Yes?"

Jake sighed, or at least I thought it was Jake. "Sorry."

My eyebrows lifted at the different voice, "Niall?"

"Yes."

I looked around the kitchen, not sure what was going on. "Um, hello."

"This isn't a social call," There was a loud smack and then Niall was fussing out someone else.

And then I heard him, "Niall, nigga, tell her why you're sorry." Jake demanded, his voice so lovely to my ears I nearly moaned.