Chapter 12

"As soon as I stepped out of the car, one of them whistled.

"Damn Jake, you get all the fly bitches."

A startled laugh left my lips as we approached the house, not because of what was said but who said it. The kid, brown skin with a fade, looked no older than ten, "Shut the fuck up Niall and introduce yourself." Jake snapped at the boy.

He was the first to stand, making a face at Jake before smiling at me, "Hey, I'm Niall, and even though I'm eleven, I know I'm more man than Jake's bitch a-" Jake smacked Niall upside the head making Niall lose his train of thought and turn on him.

He tried to smack Jake back but Jake bobbed and weaved, dancing onto the lawn, Niall following behind, trying to get a hit. I was watching them play fight, or maybe it was for real, when a boy almost as light skin as Jake cleared his throat.

"Hey, I'm Dustin," He smiled, offering me his hand. I shook it, noting he looked like the littlest boy, just a lot older.

"Avery," I said, dropping his hand which was a little sweaty. "Nice to meet you."

He nodded, stepping back and allowing another boy with ginger hair to step forward. "Grant," He grunted, his eyes were piercing as he studied me, "I feel like I've seen you around."

I shrugged, "We do go to the same high school." I pointed out.

He shook his head, "Nah, somewhere else..." He trailed off and I looked at the porch towards the last boy. Niall and Jake's arguing calming down in the background.

"That rude fuck is my baby brother, Pete." Dustin said, making Pete flip Dustin off, but he didn't say anything or even get up off the porch. I nodded at him, something about his quietness speaking to me. He wasn't timid, probably just tired of peoples shit, I totally understood him.

"Do you smoke?" Grant suddenly asked, making Jake give him a shove.

"Get y'all asses inside, damn," He grumbled, stepping in front of me kind of as a shield, ushering them inside.

We followed behind, but at a distance, once they were inside he turned to me. "Sorry about them, we're close so they wouldn't know a fucking boundary if I stapled it to their foreheads."

I smiled, "Don't mind. I like them."

He snorted, grabbing the doorknob, "Don't lie to spare my feelings." And then he opened the door and the noise of the party flooded onto the porch. There weren't that many people in the front of the house, but it sounded like a thousand were in the back.

Jake pointed out the bathroom as he led me down the hall and into the thick of it. To our left was the living room and to the right the threshold of the kitchen. At some point Jake had grabbed my hand but dropped it when a football player I recognized but didn't know by name came up to greet him. They did this intricate handshake and then Jake was gone.

I mean seriously, just like that, people saw him and swarmed and I found myself stumbling backwards so I wouldn't be stepped on or elbowed.

"Shits ridiculous isn't it? He's not that great."

I turned to my side and found Niall standing there, glaring at all the kids in his house. He tapped my elbow, "Follow me for the real party."

I was so beyond amused by the kid, the way he carried himself was actually in fact too mature for an eleven year old, and his mouth was dirtier too. I followed him, and he led me into the kitchen where his other brothers were along with an older white woman. She was wearing a flowery sundress and her white blonde hair was long and loose.