Chapter 14

"It was very clear to me, to Jake and anybody with eyeballs that we were in fact dating. But, we kept saying we were friends. Jake, because he didn't want to scare me off and me, because I was terrified of that feeling that was becoming a normal thing.

Jake actually liked me and it scared me because I had no clue who me was! So I kept him at arms length and whenever he started getting all sappy, I threw Evy in his face. It was such a dick move but it was all I had.

It also didn't help that Everett was getting more and more aggressive. Every time we interacted, he was trying to get in my pants. It made me uncomfortable but also, I felt like I'd caused it because I never left him alone.

About half way through the summer, after calling Jake and asking him to come pick me up from work so I had a legit excuse for Evy so he couldn't insist on taking me home, I realized I was using Jake. He was quickly becoming my confidant and best friend, two things I've never had before. It felt good and I found my mood had picked up tremendously as I filed some reports after the phone call.

"What're you smiling about?"

A chill raced down my spine as soon as I heard the heavy, slow steps of Evy's gate. His voice didn't help, I quickly wiped the smile off my face and went to take my seat. "Nothing, do you need something?" I asked, looking up at him with indifference.

Man he's ugly. In that moment, I couldn't believe I'd been making out with the creepy, skeleton bastard for fucking edibles? I felt so pathetic.

Evy sneered, "You've been a real bitch lately. You need me to fuck you pliant?"

My face heated up, with anger or embarrassment, I wasn't sure. Jake would never talk to you like that, I told myself, turning my attention to the computer because that didn't deserve a response. I checked the time on the screen and calculated thirty-seven more minutes until Jake would be there to take me away.

Evy snorted, "You dumb bitch, are you ignoring me?"

"You're the dumb one if you have to ask." I muttered, grabbing a pen and a sticky note so I could pretend to be busy so he'd leave me alone.

"Whatever, fucking high school child Bitch." He grumbled, heading back into the shop.

I didn't breathe until the door clicked shut and he was actually gone. When I went to put the pen in the little cup, my hand was shaking, I was just so..." I stopped talking at a loss for words, the shame I felt that day, all those years ago, coming back tenfold.

I looked at Ava who was half asleep in the office chair, her beautiful face so sweet and innocent, her pretty eyes and fluffy hair. My sweet Cookie. My heart ached.

"Everett was a horrible person, do not let anyone speak to you any kind of way. Understood?" I asked, wanting her to understand that disrespect isn't something that should be tolerated.

Ava nodded, rubbing her eye, "Got it mommy." She yawned, "Did dad beat Evy up?"

My lip twitched, "You're tired."

Her jaw dropped, "Oh come on! I'm awake!" She exclaimed, and then yawned immediately afterwards.

I stood from Jake's desk, loving the fresh wave of Jake's scent that hit me. "Nope, I'm tired too. We'll continue tomorrow."

She groaned, marching out of Jake's office ahead of me, I turned out the lights before shutting the door. I poked my head into the living and found it empty, I shut those lights off and then went upstairs.

When I got to my room, my bathroom light was on and I heard the sink running, I shook my head, assuming Aiden was using it again. So I went to my closet to change into my robe while I waited. When I emerged back into my room, I paused.