Chapter 13

I woke up with a frown on my face, it was Saturday. Yet another weekend without my hubby home. And while the phone sex and roses were marvelous, they weren't him. I just wanted him. So I sent him a quick text, asking how the case was going and then made my way down to the kitchen.

I frowned, ears peeking up at the sound of the sink running. "What are you doing?" I asked in my best mom voice.

Jaden jumped, dropping whatever he was rinsing off in the sink.

"And where is you're brace, Jay?" I asked, sounding a little more incensed than was necessary, blame Jake.

Jaden shut off the water and held up his hands in a plea of innocence, "Mama. I can't sleep in the brace."

"But you're awake now," I told him, walking over to see what he was doing. "You're cooking?"

"Yeah."

I looked over the pan of cooked scrambled eggs and took a sniff, "They smell good. Can I get a plate?" I asked, eyeing the heaping of eggs.

"Of course, I made some for everybody. The toast is in the microwave." He said, cradling his wrist against his chest.

I smiled, grabbing his head and bringing it close to me so I could kiss it. "This was sweat bubba, thank you."

He nodded, remaining quiet while I made a plate. It was only when I was buttering my toast that I realized, this kid was up to something. I rolled my eyes, setting my toast down and going to take a seat.

"Juice, Mama?"

I held back a snort, setting down my plate I smiled at him, "I would love some."

He got right too it, and soon I had my full glass of orange juice with one ice cube in it. I thanked him and got to eating, purposely ignoring the way he was hovering by the island. If he had something to ask me, then he would just have to ask!

I stabbed some eggs and slipped them into my mouth, plate half empty, by the time he cleared his throat. "Um, mommy?"

I glanced at him, "Hmm?"

He looked nervous, which, maybe when JJ was his age would've made me nervous, but I've heard it all at this point so. I waited. He rung his hands, I ate some more, he took a step forward, I grabbed my juice, he opened his mouth. I drank and he asked, "Are you and daddy getting divorced?"

I choked on my ice cube, spewing juice and chewed up egg all over the table. Jaden, who has a terrible fight or flight reaction (I've witnessed it on multiple occasions), just stood there and watched me hack up my lungs.

Eventually, I started breathing right, I gestured for the paper towels and he brought them over so I could clean myself up. I then grabbed him and hugged him to my side. "Why would you even think to ask that?" I asked him, kissing his head of kinky curls.

He rested his head on my shoulder and shrugged, "My friend Rich Pickolo said his dad wasn't home a lot and then his mom told them that his dad wasn't coming home ever again." He whispered, making my heart sad.

I cradled his cheek and kissed his head again, "Oh my love." I sighed, squeezing him tight, "Me and you're father are very much in love and will be staying married until we're old and farty."

"Like auntie?"

I laughed, tickling his side and making him laugh too, "Even older and fartier."

"Ew," He laughed, standing up. The smile fell from his face and another question surfaced, "Then how come he's never home anymore?"

I rubbed his back, "He's trying to make sure a young black boy like Aiden doesn't go to jail for something he didn't do." I told him, kissing his forehead. "He's doing good work and when it's all over and the boy is free, he'll be home quizzing you in no time." I told him before sending him off to wake up his siblings.