2. Life & Roommates in Anandashram - Jan 1994

No Tea for Me!

January 7, 1994 Anandashram

Dear Parents,

Although they bring tea & coffee to the rooms three times a day, I find that they stimulate the senses and are not conducive to meditation, so I don’t partake. Also, although there are two beds in the room, I of course sleep only on a mat on the floor. On it, I lay two saris and cover myself with a shawl and a sari pinned together.

I was alone for a week, now a German girl has come to the room, she will be here 10 days. Never mind – all is God! Plus we are both quiet and don’t talk.

I pray that you are all happy & well.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu,

Love,

Divya

__________________

Life & Roommates in Anandashram

January 18 1994

Anandashram

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars. Yesterday I received your letter dated 6 January… very good timing, only 11 days! At the same time I received a letter written on 8 January from Vidya – it took 9 days from Puttaparthi to here! This is the funny situation of Anandashram post – and we have no choice but to accept it in good spirits. 

All is well here, there are many foreigners now (about 20) so Swami Satchidananda is holding special “interview” sessions in his room, 3-3:30 PM every day - the foreigners ask questions and he answers. Being in his presence is undeniably both uplifting and inspiring! An initiative to trudge on with intensity on the Path!

Now my daily routine has become established!

2:30-4:30 AM : Sadhana (Energizing exercises, meditation and Kriya)

4:30-5 : Bath

5-6:45 : Morning program in Mandir

6:45-7:15 : Breakfast (milk and fruit in room)

7:15-8 : Offering flowers in Mandir

8-9 : Washing clothes etc.

9-10:30 : Free time - reading ,writing, etc.

10:30-11: Going around Homa Mandir, chanting

11-11:30 : Bhajan in Mandir

11:30-12 noon : lunch (crackers in room)

12 noon-1 PM: arathi in Mandir

1-2:30 : Nap

2:30-3 : Bath

3:-4:30 : Interviews with foreigners in Swami Satchidananda’s room

4:30-5 : Chanting in Homa Mandir

5-5:30 PM : Organizing for next day

5:30-5:45 : Prasad distribution in Mandir

5:45-6:15 : Arathi in Homa Mandir

6:15-8:15 : Sadhana

8:15-9 : Bhajan & chanting in Mandir OR Free time

9-9:45 : Final arathi in Mandir

9:45 PM-2:30 AM Sleep

As you can see, I have a full schedule!

For awhile I had one roommate, Ingrid from Germany. She was kind-hearted and enthusiastic about spirituality (young and new on the ‘Path’). Then we were joined by Sandra from New Zealand. She is over 40 years old, and is on a 1-year leave to travel around ashrams in India, learning about spiritual life. She is quiet and easy to live with. Yesterday, Ingrid left and another German came – a strong lady who gets her way, and who I feel uncomfortable around - a good chance for sadhana! She is a Sai devotee and I remember her from Puttaparthi. She doesn’t speak English so it’s good, we are quiet!

I’d like to be alone – but as I’ve put my life in God's hands, I accept what He sends. Since the nice dream of Sai giving Namaskar (on January 4), things have been going very well in meditation! I am doing all I can, but I know that the true progress will come only by the Grace of God. We can do our best and hope & pray for the Blessing of Grace to come to us.

Also, Swami Satchidananda never allows people to touch his feet, and he doesn’t touch others also. When he gives flowers in the morning, he drops them in the person’s outstretched hand. But, on New Year’s day, while giving me the flower (inside I was appealing to God for the flower of moksha!), he suddenly gave the flower hitting his fingers hard against my palm – I was shocked to feel what seemed like an electric current, and an immediate uplifting feeling or experience! So, I hope this New Year will be prosperous in spiritual sense – for all of us!

I am content and healthy – I am living in luxury on about $30 a month ($15 of that goes for donations!). Hope that all is well there.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya