11. Swami Satchidananda Talks of Astrology - May 1994

Swami Satchidananda Talks of Astrology

May 31, 1994

Anandashram

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars. All is going on well here, I hope you are all healthy and happy there.

I'm glad you are looking forward to Shasta life, Mom! It is, of course, a special sign of grace of God to have the spirit of renunciation. When people ask Swami Satchidananda how to get Grace, he replies that the very fact that one longs for God and has thyaaga (a spirit of renunciation), is a sure sign that God has already overwhelmingly bestowed on the person very special Grace. He says that all of us are God who has put on the ‘mask’ of ignorance (maya) and interest in spiritual life is proof that he intends to remove that mask of ignorance from Himself, very soon!

Speaking of Swami Satchidananda, I was amazed to hear him talk of astrology a few days ago! Although I had the dream of him saying you work hard in astrology (it was so real!), still I thought that on the physical plane he was against things like astrology.

Well, several days ago I went to the meeting (daily satsang where we listen to a reading from a Ramdas book) and Swami Satchidananda was right in the middle of answering a question someone had asked. He was saying, “The planet Guru (Jupiter) in the horoscope must be in a good position or else spiritual progress will be very difficult and slow. Only when Jupiter is favorable can there be rapid spiritual progress. Ramdas got illumination because Jupiter was in an excellent position. When he was wondering around as a Sadhu, he owned nothing but was filled with bliss. At that time, Saturn (Sani) in the horoscope was exulted and thus the material poverty. But, although Saturn hurts the material life, it can mean great spiritual benefits – but only if Jupiter is in a good position.”

Needless to say, I was so surprised to hear him thus expound astrology! After, he explained how astrology was not to be taken as the last word in one’s life, but it is to show one that one can overcome tendencies of the past, and to help one. I sounded exactly what Sri Yukteswarji told Yogananda in Autobiography. I couldn’t help remembering you, Mom, throughout all this. Perhaps it was all a ploy to let you know you’re doing good work! Perhaps Swami Satchidananda just said it all, so later I could report to you.

Now, I must say that the idea of me writing a book sounds most absurd!! What, pray tell, has happened in my life of interest?? As I look back, there is only the memory of a quiet, uneventful life. Calmness – well, like a zombie-like state maybe due to a birth defect of lack of brain cells – inside; and outside, sitting in Walnut Creek home and sitting in Darshan lines. No spiritual experiences to speak of, no drama, no emotional calamities! No, the life has been dull indeed - a case of waiting patiently for illumination.

The monsoon rains seem to have started early, in May. We had plenty of light showers and today, June 1st, the first hard and prolonged rain is falling. Cool winds also! I had to get out the socks and sweater, which had been stored away since mid-February.

May you all keep healthy & happy.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu!

Love,

Divya