4. Moving into the New House - Feb 1994

Moving into the New House

February 11-13, 1994

Anandashram

Dear Parents. Divya conveys her namaskars. All is very fine here – like heaven except Cosmic Consciousness is still lacking! :-)

Yesterday (12 Feb) all of us white faces were moved out of the ashram and into a small house across the street and down a small road, from the ashram. The walk to and fro is good exercise, but I am already tired after only the first day!

I have taken up my abode in the big storage room (about 4 feet by 10 feet). It is nice because it is a separate room and I can be alone (although two others have stored some luggage there and come in sometimes to get it). We’re about 12 foreign ladies, and only 4 beds! Someone has made the kitchen her room (only a water-tap on one side of an empty room is called “kitchen” in India!); another is in the hallway.

It is OK because we can do japa on the long walks to & fro (almost half a mile one way) and imagine sounds of all the other people in the house as variations of “OM”! The only unfortunate thing is that we have to walk in the darkness home after the night arathi, which ends at nearly 10 PM. I like to leave immediately but I see that the others socialize outside the Mandir for some time. Anyway, as I go home I remember the difficulties of Krishnabai as she walked though the streets at night, going to and coming back from seeing Ramdas in the old days.

In the early morning another person (the German roommate who is inspired by my discipline and follows me!) comes with me for the morning program at 5 AM!

I am happy that the weather is now becoming pleasantly warm (others complain of the heat!) – others didn’t want to be in the storage room because it has no fan! But is good for me plus it has two big windows to let air in.

Many Indians are arriving – mostly elderly people who are probably longtime devotees of Ramdas (and who are probably need the comfort of ashram rooms). Hope all continues to be well there. :-)

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya