14. Hearty Welcome - July 1994

Hearty Welcome

July 16, 1994 Anandashram

Dear Parents,

The soft-hearted residents here seem to be sad and shocked at Swami Satchidananda’s ultimatum! “You must come back soon, you do Ram Nam so nicely,” a few residents told me! It is true that since one month, there is hardly anyone here and I help with some of the programs. There is usually only three or four of us for the two hours of programs in the early morning, and only two or three people going around the Homa Mandir (the all-day chanting). I have a nice loud voice, not very tuneful but it’s OK when joining others and helps to carry the program along.

Yesterday I received a telegram form the Omkar Ashram (it’s been two weeks since I sent a letter). It said, “Pranams to Swami Satchidananda. Thanks for letter. Hearty welcome. Letter follows.”

Sri Ram was verily bubbling over and saying, “Such Divine humility! She’s thanking you for writing her!” When I showed Swami Satchidananda the telegram he could not help laughing outright in joy and said, “Oh! Very good!”

I certainly feel like Swami Satchidananda is taking care of me – one saint (Swami Satchidananda) writes a recommendation for me and another saint (Jnaneswari Mataji) sends a telegram thanking me for my letter!

You are right that the cold environment would not suit me, there in Mount Shasta. Even when Indians complain about the heat and turn up the fans, I am bundled up in sweater and shawl! The hotter the weather, the more comfortable I am, a cold-blooded creature! Venkamma taught me about foods that heat the body (like eggplant, sugar, mango, ragi, drumstick vegetable, etc.) but even eating these does not seem to help me. When I meditate I make a cave, wrapped all up in blankets with only a little space for breathing. It’s good because it’s like being all alone even when roommates are a few feet away! Venkamma used to complain bitterly when I covered with blankets – she always felt hot and shouted that even seeing me all wrapped up made her feel even warmer!

Well, here it is still raining every day, for most of the day - almost two months now of constant rain I kept slipping on the slimy cement (wearing rubber thongs) then Sri Ram’s wife advised me to get plastic shoes, which I did. Now I don’t slip but have toe blisters near each big toe, breaking in the new shoes. First time in nine years I have something other than rubber thongs! Too fashionable for me but what to do? Cost 75 cents!

So, on July 14th Swami Satchidananda opened the new Accommodation Office here. he sprinkled water on everyone – I received several drops - then he distributed Rs 1- notes and bananas to the elderly sadhus and handed the rest of us bananas only. It was nice – I didn’t get sprinkled by Sai directly but He did it through Swami Satchidananda!

All for now – be well!

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu,

Love,

Divya

____________________

Train Reservation

July 28, 1994

Anandashram

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars. Here is a copy of the letter I received from Jnaneswari. I am leaving Anandashram on July 31st, 10 AM and arriving to a train station near Shanti Ashram on August 1st, 1994 evening.

Now other news – hope you are all well and happy. After I get settled at Shanti Ashram, I will of course write you about it.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu,

Love,

Divya