5. Swami Chidananda Arrives - Feb 1994

Swami Chidananda Arrives

February 20, 1994

Anandashram

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars.

Many people have arrived, and the ashram became packed. The arrival of Swami Chidananda of Rishikesh on February 16th was a big event. It was 9 PM when he came, and big crowds of people including Swami Satchidananda were waiting for him.

He is 77 years old, of medium height, very thin with oval face and big, expressive hands (he used to serve many people over the years, as he always liked helping sick people). He had a little cold when he arrived, but still he walked with bouncing steps to the bhajan hall, bowed low at the samadhi of Ramdas, and stayed for the arathi 9:15 to 9:45 PM.

Although he is elderly and emaciated he has an aura of energy, of “get up and go!” No wonder he is constantly traveling all over India (and other countries), attending functions and reviving the spirit of his guru (Swami Sivananda) all over.

What a difference from the calm, stable, grounded, full of love and young-looking Swami Satchidananda (75 years old)! Swami Chidananda is elderly-looking but energetic and active.

Over the days we have enjoyed the satsang of the two Swamis sitting side-by-side, and talking to each other or to us. Here also, there is amusing differences between them! Swami Satchidananda talks in a slow and measured voice, often inaudible because it is so soft. He only talks of Ram Nam japa and God. Whereas the sprinty Swami Chidananda talks in a hurried and louder voice, and rambles on talking of all different subjects like ministers of Kerala or the healthy of other Swamis! It is amusing to see Swami Satchidananda sometimes trying to end the meeting, while Swami Chidananda pats his arm and continues to horridly talk on different subjects. Swami Chidananda is almost like an excited kid (in a very elderly-looking body!) beside the ever-composed and outwardly unexpressive Swami Satchidananda (perhaps the relationship of Yogananda and Yukteswar was also like this!).

Anyway, we are having a delightful time with him here! Sometimes Swami Chidananda walks about, to garland the tombs at the Homa Mandir or just for a walk. He is followed by people (anyone can come) at a respectful distance (three feet). He is often smiling and talking of anything. (At the first meeting he looked up to see a blue canopy and he began to recount the story of the animals who thought the sky was falling down. He never finished, but started to ramble on, on other subjects. One must be very alert around him or cannot grasp what is being said!)

On February 17th, the Mahasamadhi of Mother Krishnabai,big crowds filled the bhajan hall from 4:30 AM. The usual program went on, with many people participating. As usual, Swami Satchidananda gave flowers to each and every one of the hundreds of people, to offer at Ramdas & Krishnabai’s samadhi.

At noon arathi, Swami Satchidananda made a short speech (5 minutes) on how we should follow Krishnabai’s teachings (always do japa, see all as God and feel we do all by God's power), and then we would always feel her presence with us.

All programs went on as usual, plus three different times prasad of sweets and fried foods were given, more than 10 different pieces of prasad, plus payasam sweet given at lunch!

The usual rounds of the Homa Mandir started as usual at 6 AM, continued throughout the night and ended the next day at 6 PM. For that, big crowds were constantly, enthusiastically going around.

February 21: Yesterday, we got a room in the ashram, this is because the German girl became sick and wanted to be inside (the one who was my roommate before). She wanted me in the room with her - maybe because no one else can take her! She is a bit unstable like Sis, but more distant. Swami is a perfect actor in all forms!

Now there are five Sai devotees here, half of the foreigner ladies! Everyone agrees that Prasanthi Nilayam was good, but now it is nearly impossible to live in. Short (very short!) visits yes; but not permanently. Like me they are traveling to other ashrams and have no home.

Everyone has a different path, the life that Ramdas had was extreme! He gave up food and sleep; whereas Krishnabai slept as long as she wanted to and ate three meals every day. Both got Realization! When Krishnabai first came she tried to reduce sleep and found to her utter frustration that she couldn’t. She complained to Ramdas about it and he answered, “Why do you worry? This is only taking your attention away from God. Sleep and eat according to what the body needs; just concentrate all the time on the mantra and on God's presence everywhere. You will attain the goal.”

Recently, Swami Satchidananda said (in answer to a question), “No meditation or pranayama is necessary. All that is needed is constant remembrance of God. But people don’t do this because it is too simple a thing, too easy! They will try austerities like getting up early in the morning for meditation, and try to subdue the restless mind; they think by these hard things, they will progress. But truly fast progress comes by remembering God always, and for this set meditation times are not needed.”

Swami Chidananda has some orthodox habits that Swami Satchidananda is not inclined towards. Like, Swami Chidananda walks backwards when going out of the temple (so as not to turn one’s back on the deity) and avoids ladies. Swami Satchidananda’s only sadhana was seeing God in all, so he doesn’t like the rituals, even pradakshina! Sometimes when people try to ask questions on knowledge, Swami Satchidananda answers, “Devotees (i.e., those on the path of ‘bhakti’ as opposed to ‘jnana,’ the path of knowledge) are not concerned with all that. Just practice seeing God in all and always have His name on your mind or on your tongue, then you will always be in bliss.”

I am fine and healthy, the weather is pleasant, all here are engaged in sadhana and I hope to stay longer. If all goes well with visa then I will! I hope you are all happy and healthy.  Jai Sai Ram!

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya