3. Forms of God & Seeing Outside Room - Jan - Feb 1994

Swami in Another Form

January 31 1994

Anandashram

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars.

The German roommate is in the room now, whom I felt uncomfortable around: she is strong and direct and has to have things her own way. Seeing that I was uncomfortable around her, I thought to myself, “This is not the correct attitude of a spiritual aspirant!” Then I thought, “Maybe the real person is in Germany, and Swami has come in this form to test me!”

So, from then on I imagined it was Swami sitting there; I began to offer this “Swami” biscuits when I ate, and I was nice to her. After only three days of this concentrated effort on my part, I found a miraculous change! I felt perfectly harmonious with her, and she also became soft and friendly. Now it is quite a nice situation!

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu

Love,

Divya

_____________________

Checking Out a New House

February 10-11, 1994

Anandashram

Dear Parents,

Mother Krishnabai’s Mahasamadhi Day will be celebrated on 17 February this year. Many here are looking forward to seeing Swami Chidananda of Rishikesh (successor of the famous Swami Sivananda of Divine Life Society). He is a highly advanced and loveable soul, they say. He will arrive on the 16th February and stay for some days here.

Because of the many people expected, Swami Satchidananda is thinking of moving the foreigners to a newly built house outside, across the street from the ashram. So, he invited all of us to see it one day.

We all tromped behind him in a scattered group, eight foreigner ladies and one lone gent. A few Indians also trailed after us.

Swami Satchidananda took us all around the house and showed us every room (an entry room, small kitchen, two small bedrooms, two miniscule storage-cubbies, and two bathrooms). Even in the midst of activity, I was impressed that the aura of profound peace around him remained unchanged, and his face remained shining and calm.

The ladies were silent, they seemed to be wondering how 10 ladies (two others will come, and maybe more also!) could fit into two small rooms (four beds). But Swami Satchidananda enthusiastically said, “We have mats, and some of your can sleep in the entry room!” Later, he said the one gent could be housed in the house across the street, whilst the ladies muttered, “A whole house all to himself!!”

People really have soft and devotional hearts around here. Yesterday, in the usual book-reading. The man was reading the Krishnabai book out loud, in a room packed with people and with Swami Satchidananda also listening. When he got to the part about Krishnabai dying, he broke down and cried! His voice became so chocked, he couldn’t control himself. He stopped reading and the session for that day had to be terminated. Swami Satchidananda remained with closed eyes and downcast head.

Be healthy & happy!

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya