Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own Handmaid's Tale. That is Margaret Attwood's creation. I do own the characters I have added to her world. 

Please note that due to the nature of the world in which Handmaid's Tale takes place, themes such as rape, suicide, abuse, violence, etc. will be mentioned though I will try to not be graphic. Language disclaimer as well. 

.
.
.

-Prologue-

Red was once my favorite color. As I feel the fabric that lays over my skin now however, I don't share that same thought. Red distinguishes me. It sets me apart and let's everyone know who I am now. Let's everyone know I have done something to get to where I am and what I am currently doing. 

It's funny how something can change so quickly. Red was my favorite color. Now the only red I want to see is the red glow of this shithole burning down one day. 

I can hear sounds around me. The car moves down some godforsaken street to my doom. "I should feel honored", Aunt Lydia would say, that "such a fine family has chosen me to fulfill my God-ordained purpose". Go choke on a Brussels sprout or something. There is no feeling honored in my position. For my only purpose to this family and position will be with my legs spread open once a month. How lovely. 

I can't see where I am going. The windows of the car are blocked from my view. I wish I could though. Perhaps I could memorize where I am. Perhaps I knew of this place before it became the hell it is today. Either way it doesn't matter if I can see where I am going, because any moment now this car will stop. When it does, I will be resigned officially to the fate I was given. There will be no turning back and I will officially be cattle. 

If I'm not too careful, my mind can wander. I try and recite the things I learned at the Center I was in. Anything I say or do will be watched and at the very least I can try and not get killed in my first posting. One day this shit will end; it has to. One day I'll live life normally again. But until then, I will do my best to not get killed... and not die fully inside. 

The door is opened and the light hits my eyes. I would squint, but my Wings block most of my view anyhow. The first things I see are trees. The house is a large mansion with brick work and trees surrounding it. The garden is impeccably kept and the steps leading up to it are stones carved. Someone had some extra change laying around it seemed. I kept my eyes down as best as I could as I walked to the front door. We were supposed to be meek and humble servants after all. Besides, I don't think I would be able to keep my resting bitch face off for too long anyway. First impressions are everything. 

I vaguely hear Aunt Lydia beside me. She's on a rant about what a marvelous home for my first posting this is and how the yard will be so wonderful for children to play in. I drown her out. I always do. I nod when she looks at me. "Yes Aunt Lydia". And all too soon we reach the front steps and door and I hear it creak open. 

"Blessed Day Commander Adams, Mrs. Adams!" And I finally am face to face with my nightmare.