Chapter Eight

Racing quietly into the apartment I force myself to resist the urge to lock the front door but I do make a beeline for the bedroom window, locking it carefully, heading to the kitchen I grab a bottle of orange juice from the fridge before sinking to the floor, my back against the cabinets, my body exhausted, my mind a maelstrom of emotions and questions. Alex is proving a much bigger problem than I had initially thought, a simple hit and grab has turned into something I don't even understand, I don't understand why my emotions are all over the place with him, I know I can control my emotions but around him I want to just let go. Be able to be honest with myself and him and that thought terrifies me, more than what he could potentially do to me. Memories of the night at the diner threaten to engulf me again, just as the did when Alex's heavy weight pinned me, breathing deeply I force my mind to calm, locking the memory away again. Closing my eyes I remember how Alex's aqua blue eyes light up, the smile on his face even as I pinned him to the floor, I remember the feel of his strong body under mine, I know realistically that I wouldn't have been able to pin him there if he didnt let me, the horror and amazement as I watched his skin heal Infront of my eyes, my mind only jumping to one conclusion, he's not human. The way he moves, the way he holds himself, the way his eyes flicker, almost changing colour with his different moods. I'm no mere little girl who can be bested but he manages to throw me off at every turn, I have felt the coiled strength of his body, I know that he could snap me like a twig but the fact he has been nothing but almost caring towards me scares me more than if he showed me aggression. Aggression and anger I can deal with, any other emotion and it feels like I'm drowning, I refuse to fall for anyone, pain is all that's caused by allowing someone else to hold my heart, what the hell am I going to do with Alex? My traitorous body warmed to his touches earlier and even part of my mind was imagining what it would be like to kiss those soft lips again, feel the passion and strength hidden behind his bad boy facade. 

Before I know it I am jolted awake by the kettles shrill whistle, jumping up I relax when I see Shea stood next to the kettle, ceasing it's whistle.

"Long night?" She asks, looking down at me concerned, pushing to my feet my muscles protest at the movement, but I grit my teeth and breathe through the cramps, as Shea and I both make a cup of tea.

"An odd night to say the least." I reply cryptically as Shea goes to question my reply I shake my head, stilling her questions. Shea grabs her coat, heading towards the door.

"IL be back later, got some things to do." Shea calls as she shuts the door behind her. Grabbing my phone I flop onto the sofa, scrolling through the job searches, they come up empty, doing a quick mental calculation, I have enough for this month's rent but next month's rent is going to have to come from somewhere.

"Um hi." Graci0e's timid voice whispers from the bedroom doorway, I turn my head, smiling at her I pat the sofa next to me, she smiles back, collapsing down next to me, I place my arm over her shoulder, hugging her.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better, Rose came to speak to me. I think I'm going to follow up with her." I manage to stop my sigh of relief, not wanting to treat her like a child.

"Did anything bad happen to you Gracie?" Her eyes dance to mine, worry in her gaze.

"You'd think I'm crazy if I told you." She glances down at her hands, tightly entwined in her lap.

"Trust me Gracie, you're anything but crazy."

"Weird things happened this time. From what I can remember there was quite alot of us, they kept giving us something to keep us quiet and compliant. Then we were separated, sent to different people ... They ... I think ... I swear they had fangs and they would bite us. But everything is hazy." My eyes widen at her recollection, my hands hold hers gently, willing her to continue.