Chapter Thirteen

3 weeks have passed since the hunters attack, since Mia ran away with one of the hunters. The turmoil in my heart has caused me to be snappy with my brothers, which they do not appreciate. The others left for another safehouse. They believe Mia is working with the hunters but I don't believe that, although a small niggly voice in my head does question her response to me, was it natural or was she a damn good actress. My phone blares in my pocket, swiping to answer I hold the phone to my ear.

"What?"

"Cut your god damn attitude Alex or IL come and kick your ass. The council are planning another move, one of us needs to take control of this situation."

"Your the eldest. You do it."

"I have Lara to think about. It's not fair on her to have to take the responsibilities on as well, it will take her away from Yasmin." I slump into the armchair, hand pinching my eyes.

"Why can't Dylan."

"You know Dylan wouldn't be able to handle the pressures of it all. He's a fighter yes but he's no diplomat. Alex, we need you."

"Byron I can't. Your asking me to give up my life."

"I'm asking you to save us all and humanity. If the council win there will never be peace until the whole of the vampire race is destroyed. Do you think they will spare the humans that reside with us? Yasmin?" My stomach feels like it's full of lead, we have argued about this for weeks and I know logically it is the only answer. But if I accept the role of king of the vampire race i lose everything here, I lose the chance for something with Mia. But before I can answer a sensor alarm bleeps, signalling someone has entered the grounds of the manor.

"I've got to go. Someone is here." I hang up before Byron can reply, dropping the phone I immediately switch to predator mode, slinking in the shadows, I wait, the back door and front door are both in my vision as I freeze like a statue, waiting and listening. Soft footsteps head to the back door, I see the handle turn slowly, before the door is pulled open carefully. My fangs bite into my lip in anticipation but the person who slowly steps through the door, robs me of my breath.

"Hello?" Her soft voice is like music to my ears but as I see the glint of a gun in her hand, before she can even blink I have her pinned against the wall, her gasp of shock whispers against my skin.

"Mia." I growl, her body melts into mine as I hear the gun clatter to the floor.

"I'm sorry." She whispers.

"Sorry for what? Betraying me, betraying my family?" I hiss, my hands tightening on her wrists, I know it must be hurting but she doesn't protest.

"I didn't betray you or your family. I lied to the hunters." The honesty in her voice has me stepping back, releasing her fully, she massages her wrists as she brushes past me, into the sitting room, my feet follow her before my brain catches up. She flicks on the light before sitting on the sofa, for the first time I really look at her. Her once bright eyes seem dulled, her long raven hair is lifeless, dark circles around her eyes, her whole demeanor is sullen. Sitting next to her I grasp her hand in mine, trying to ignore how right it feels to have her back, her skins warmth slowly seeps into my palm.

"What happened?" I ask curiously.

"My roommate was the one who shot you, I had no idea she was into the 'blackbloods', vampire hunters. I couldn't hurt her and I knew you would have killed her. I got taken to one of their safehouses, they didn't trust me at first, kept interrogating me about you guys, I told them you would have moved after the attack, I said I'd seen a cross near the mountain valley, they found a cabin there under the name of Slavosk which I said was one of your associates surnames. They fell for it. Planned another attack. That's where they've gone."