Chapter Ten

I surface slowly, my head is pounding, my limbs feel weak, I keep my eyes squeezed shut as memories flood back, Alex is a vampire, Byron must be too, they fought 8 other terrifying men, they moved too fast for me to comprehend but something in me snapped and instead of running away like i knew I should I tackled the leader and somehow managed to turn the tables. Jolting upright I wince as my head feels like someone jackhammering in my mind, my vision swims violently, a shadow passes into my vision, I can't stop the scream as I launch off the bed, my legs fail me as I land heavily on laminated floor.

"I am so sorry." A young girls voice whispers frightened, I twist just as Alex's voice echoes round the room.

"What did you do Yasmin!?" He yells and I try pushing to my feet, my vision settling as I focus on the young blonde girl who looks terrified.

"Alex. It wasn't her fault. I scared myself." I whisper, my voice a mere thread of noise but Alex appears at my side, helping me back onto the bed, I know when to pick my fights and right now I'm weaker than a kitten so I dont fight him.

"Sorry Yasmin, things are a little tense downstairs, I acted rashly." He holds his arms open and Yasmin races into them, smiling, I can't help but envy their relationship, it brings back memories of when my own dad was alive, I feel tears stain my cheeks and I can do nothing to stop them. Alex is immediately there, wiping my tears away with the pad of his thumbs, part of me wants to run away because he's a vampire, the other half is madly curious about what it's like.

"You can go, Yasmin, will you keep me company?"

"Of course. Sorry for scaring you. Are you hungry? I'm not much of a cook but I'm sure Violet and Lara can help me." I feel Alex tense before he faces Yasmin.

"I don't want them near her yet." I bristle at his tone.

"Why not? Worried we will team up?"

"Yes." He replies bluntly and I can't help but laugh, Yasmin bounds out the room, leaving us alone, my heart kicks up a knotch, out of fear or anticipation I'm not sure.

"Alex? What's it like being a vampire?" Part of my mind hasn't fully comprehended whether it's true or not. He leans down towards me, his azure eyes holding me captive, his palm cradles my cheek.

"I will tell you all about it later, right now I've got a meeting with my brothers." I try to push myself upright but his hands push down on my shoulders, concern in his gaze.

"Is it to do with what that person, man, vampire ... Robert said?"

"Yes it is. No you are not joining us. Lay there quietly and get your strength back then you can go back to fighting me at every turn." His soft lips press against my forehead before he disappears from the room, Yasmin walks into the room a few moments later, carrying a tray of food and some drinks, she places them on the bedside table, her slender arms helping me sit, her concern as I try to get off the bed.

"What are you doing?"

"Help me to the bathroom." She looks at me dumbstruck for a moment before she laughs at herself.

"Sorry, I'm so used to being around vampires." She helps me stand, my legs feel like jelly but we manage to get me to the bathroom, she lingers by the door until she's sure I'm steady enough not to fall.

"Yasmin? Can you find me some clothes? I need a shower." Yasmin nods, pulling the door almost closed. After using the toilet I manage to strip, almost falling twice before I cautiously step into the shower, the tiles send chills up my legs. Finally figuring out the shower I turn it hot, the water running over my skin, stinging the cut on my head, but my muscles welcome the relaxing waves, sitting on the tiles I let the water cascade over me, my mind and body exhausted. Steam quickly fills the bathroom but I have no energy to move, even when I hear someone walk into the bathroom.