Chapter Nineteen

Laying on the bed, Serena's soft body molded against mine, her fingertips draw random symbols on my chest, i smile at the normalcy of it, how right it feels for her to be in my arms, how her being a mage has completely changed the dilemma i was facing, as a mage she should be able to live in the palace since it was mages who set the wards while it was being built, but i dont want to put any more stress  on her, these past few weeks must have been taxing on not only her mind but body too. The fact that she has taken being a mage in her stride is phenomenal but i'm also worried as it seems that she has more powers than most mages have had at once, the fact that theyre not fully awakened yet is another problem. I dont know how she will be able to cope with trying to control her powers and i have no idea how many she will have, maybe her father will have some of the answers we seek, i hope that she is right about her father and that she can bring him back from his bloodlust. Serena stands suddenly, causing me to sit upright in confusion.

"Serena?" I ask as she walks over to the drapes, my frown deepens, i know the sun is up so what is she doing.

"I want to test something." Her hand grips the drapes, my unease increases.

"Serena. You know the sunlight will hurt me." I warn, suddenly Serena is infront of me, on her tip toes, lips a whisper away from mine.

"Do you trust me?"

"Yes." I answer without hesitation, she kisses me quickly before racing across to the drapes, pulling them apart just a couple of inches, the sunlight creates a slanting line in the room, instinctively i shrink away from it but Serena walks across and grabs my hand, gently pulling me towards the sunlight, forcing myself not to panic as i know a short exposure wont harm me permanently. She steps into the light, the rays seem to make her skin glow, she pulls my hand into the sunlight, i brace myself for the pain but nothing happens. I feel the warmth of the sun on my skin and i completely freeze in shock, the sun has always been forbidden to my kind, how is this possible.

"Alex?" Serena asks softly, squeezing my hand comfortingly, curious i grab the drape and pull it apart more until the sunlight caresses my face and body. There is no pain, only warmth.

"How are you doing this?" I ask dumbfounded, she smiles before opening the balcony door and stepping out into the daylight, i follow hesitantly and my breath is blown away. The usual silver world is illuminated in a glow of gold, colours burst infront of my vision, the green of the leaves is breathtaking, in the night the colours pale in comparison to the daytime. The sky is a brilliant light blue, it's like im seeing the world for the first time again, turning i gather Serena into my arms, her skin glowing in the sunlight, her raven hair shining bright with almost blue tinges to the lengths, her emerald eyes shine brighter than the most brilliant gemstones.

"It worked." She whispers, a dazzling smile lights up her face.

"How is this possible?" I ask, my fingers brushing over her skin and hair reverently.

"Its the gift of my blood." She replies, her soft hands run through my hair.

"Just when i think you're the most incredible woman in the universe you go and show me something new that makes my opinion of you greater. Is it permanent?"

"No, at least i dont think so. Apparently it will last for a couple of days max after you stop drinking my blood. But i want this to be kept secret please Alex, i dont want to be hunted by those who want my power."

"This will always be our little secret, i dont want to share this, to share you." Kissing her deeply i revel in the knowledge that this little spit of a woman holds more power than she could ever understand, how her blood can allow me to walk in the sun for the first time in my whole life. It's astounding. To be able to go on daytime strolls with her by my side was once an unobtainable dream but now it could easily become a reality, thanks to her, thanks to the powers she possesses. But i know i need to research deeply about the mages and their powers so i can find the best way to help her when her powers fully awaken as i will not lose her, i will not let her go mad like other mages have done. Leaning my forehead against hers i breathe in the fresh morning air, flowers and dew create a soft perfume that i will forever remember. Serena's tropical scent cocoons me, her breath feathering over my skin, her soft lips press against my throat, i hold her tighter to me, basking in the suns rays.

"My father wasn't lying." She whispers, head resting against my shoulder, my chin nuzzling the top of her head.

"I promise you that I will do whatever I can to help get your father out of here."

"Thank you. I know you're worried but I think if I am the one to get him out and into some sort of transport it will be better. The beast recognises me, seems to be compliant with me, but you, it doesn't like you. It probably sees you as a threat so I know it makes you uneasy but I have to get him out myself. Is there a van or anything here?" I sit on the floor, leaning back against the wall, pulling Serena in between my legs, marvelling at the colours in her hair.

"I'm sure i can find a van, im worried about you going near him, but if you need help you call for me. I promise I won't kill him."

"I'm more worried that he could kill you. We will do it just before the sun sets, my father will be able to tolerate the sun, same as you. If you get the transport as close to the door as possible I should be able to get him out and into it without a fight, hopefully we will be able to help him come back to the man he once was. I know im going to need your help with some things since i dont fully understand the vampire side of him, what it entails."

"Of course im going to help you. but we will need to lock him away until he is at full control of his actions as i will not allow him to harm my family."

"I know, i understand that he needs to be locked away for his own protection. Lets get some sleep, we are both going to have to be on our best games tonight." She leads us back into the bedroom but as she goes to close the drapes behind me i grab her hand gently, stopping her, her gaze collides with mine.

"Let's leave it open, i want to savour this gift of yours." She beams at me, i cant help gathering her in my arms and kissing her soundly until an enticing blush covers her delicate skin.

"We are going to have lots more days to savour when we are safe."

"I dont know if we are going to be able to bring your father back before the council initiate their plan, we just wiped out one of their main members, i really dont think theyre going to take too kindly to that. In a way i can only hope they come to seek revenge first and world domination after but it seems as though theyre unpredictable at the moment." I feel her pause momentarily before she leads me over to the bed, laying down on the soft sheets, the sunlight warming our bodies.

"Where is the vampire palace?"

"8 nights drive, or a 3 night run." 

"Who resides there now?"

"Nobody. only the royals can enter and live at the palace. if there were no royals there then noone could stay, not even the council." Serena looks up at the ceiling thoughtfully.

"So the place is abandoned, only a royal living there can choose who stays? We need to get there. You need to take control of the vampire race before the council turn humans to slaves and kill you, your brothers and more than likely your family too. I'm a mage, well, almost, i should be able to survive living there. But we need to bring my father. If we travel through the days as well we should get there sooner, yes?"

"You would leave your life behind?"

"I have no life here, my father is the only one i have now. If he comes with us then im sure we can help him in the palace. It would only be us there so surely it would be safer than anywhere else."

"You amaze me at every turn. I feel like ive won the lottery." I pull her to my side, feeling at ease, our hearts beating in sync. I feel myself drifting off to sleep, warmed by the suns rays and Serena's human warmth, finally im starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and i completely believe that with Serena by my side we will become an unstoppable force.