Chapter Sixteen

It's been 3 weeks, give or take since I arrived in this stone prison, for the past week my father seems to be able to control his body more than the beast, he's tried explaining his bloodline, what it means, my powers should fully awaken when I am 20 but I can already do some now, we have been practicing in secret, controlling time seems to be my strongest power at the moment, telekinesis is a close second, ive only managed moving a few small items and each time i use my powers it depletes my energy.  my father relies on my blood to help neutralise the effects of bloodlust so he can help me. Dominicus has only been in twice, both times he left annoyed that I wasnt gaining any power, he also seems annoyed that Richard hasn't killed me yet. I think his plan is to get Richard to drain me to the point of death so that he can turn me, to control me.

"How is your mother?" Richard asks, solumnly, i sniff, brushing the tears from my eyes as i sit mere feet away from my father.

"She is in jail, last i knew. She went completely off the rails when she got the news that you had died. She got heavily involved in drugs, met a new guy and had a baby, not that i think she really knows since she was off her face too much. Sammie, i named him, i helped him into the world and i had to give him away to the hospital. Thats why i ran away, i didnt want to be in care, then i discovered the existance of vampires, and now here i am." He reaches a hand towards me, i slip my palm into his, the cool of his skin reminds me of Alex, i hope he is okay.

"I'm so sorry i wasnt there. The ship i was on did sink, almost taking me with it, somehow i managed to escape, drifting in a life boat for days, on the brink of death i found land, and with it Dominicus found me, made me into this monster and has kept me chained here ever since, only giving me enough blood to keep me managable, but as you saw, the beast was in more control than i was when you arrived. Your blood is powerful, its said it can give a gift to vampires temporarily."

"What gift?"

"The gift of being able to enter the sunlight, they will not burn, will not die. thats why you need to keep the vampires from drinking your blood at any cost." My memories jolt back to Alex and the times he has fed from me.

"How long does it last?"

"Depends on the frequency of the feeding but usually only a couple of days at a time. But you cannot let any vampire know what you are." I deflate, realising that Alex wouldnt have the protection anymore, not that he knew about it anyway.

"Why do I need to hide what I am?"

"Vampires were the race who almost destroyed ours. They came for our blood, but they thought if they killed a mage while feeding they would gain the power to walk in the sun forever. Our kind were massacred. The only ones who survived were the ones powerful enough to hide who they truly were. You are the last fully living Marsh, your powers could be the greatest ever known which is why they must be hidden otherwise you will be hunted."

"What if I trust the vampire with my life?"

"Even then you run the chance of being destroyed. No vampire is trustworthy enough to hold your secret."

"We have to find a way to escape."

"Its impossible."

"Anything is possible. You died 5 years ago, yet here you are. I'm somehow a mage, which i thought were just fairytales. We will get out of here."

"And go where? the vampires are going to be taking over the world, ive heard them planning it. the only thing that can stop them is the royals but they want nothing to do with the throne." My father replies, exhausted, mentally and physically.

"I have the royals on my side, we can win this. But we need to get out of here." I watch my fathers eyes flicker again, quick as a flash i race away just as my father lunges, the beast taking over again.