Chapter Nine

I awaken slowly, the sun sinking below the horizon, heading from my room I aim for the kitchen only to have the relative silence of the manor interrupted by Byron's loud shout.

"Alex! Get in here!" Even my eyes widen at his tone, something has really ticked him off, speeding to his office i see him behind his desk, eyes ablaze with anger.

"Byron?"

"Did you know about this?" I frown, looking around but seeing nothing amiss, but then I my nostrils catch the faint scent, tropical, my eyes widen, Mia was here, when? How?

"I had no idea. What has she taken?" I ask, genuinely curious and quite annoyed at her boldness. For weeks I have forced myself not to communicate with her, busy dealing with the vampire councils threats and then out of the blue she breaks into my own home and pisses off my brother.

"She took money." Byron hisses, sitting down in his chair, I half relax, rolling my eyes.

"Is that all? We have money Byron, why are you so upset? You know she's a thief."

"I never expected someone to break into my own home and steal from me. What if she had come to our sleeping chambers and killed us?"

"She has no idea what we are Byron. I'm not that incompetent."

"She is not to be trusted."

"I have not spoken to her for weeks, busy dealing with all this council crap because you refuse to claim your right to being king."

"I never wanted to be king."

"Nobody ever does. Now if you will excuse me I've got some explanations to obtain."

"Stay away from her Alex." He orders, hitting his desk hard.

"Since when do I listen to orders Byron?" I retort, speeding out of the room, grabbing my bike from the garage I race towards Mia's before anyone else can catch up with me. Arriving at Mia's apartment block I grab my phone sending her a quick message, giving her a chance to come out willingly before I come in there to get her. After a moment Mia walks out the door, guilt flashing in her eyes as she steps slowly towards me, swinging my legs off the bike I see her pause before she lifts her chin, determination in her eyes, as soon as she is close enough I grab her arm tightly. Immediately suffocated by her tropical scent, the blood racing under her skin almost destroys my control.

"Look Alex ..." Mia starts, but I place my hand over her mouth, shaking my head I release her, climbing onto the bike I raise my eyebrow at her.

"Get on." I command, seeing her bristle makes me smile but as she slides onto the bike behind me I regret not feeding tonight as just the feel of her warm body pressed so close to mine is maddening. Speeding away her arms hold my waist tightly, her heart hammering in her chest, heading to the large lake I park up the bike, the last of the humans cars leaving the area. Mia quickly jumps off, I follow her swiftly, curious as she starts walking down the pathways towards the lake, I stalk after her, watching the way her hips naturally sway with each step, the hunger and beast inside me raise their heads, my fangs aching, hands flexing, wanting to feel her body against mine again. Reaching the edge of the lake Mia stands silent, arms wrapped around her waist, looking hauntingly beautiful and broken.

"Mia ..."

"Look I'm sorry Alex. I had no choice ... I ..." Before she can say another word in that broken ashamed voice I gather her in my arms, tilting her head up as I lay a bruising kiss on her lips, all good sense has flown out the window, the feel of her lips against mine is delicious. Hunger bursts through my control, my lips move to her throat, I feel her stiffen before she comes to some sort of resolve, feeling her pulse vibrate under her skin, my control too far gone to be able to stop I sink my fangs into her skin. Her gasp whispers against my ear as her hands tangle in my hair, her blood hits my tongue like a most addictive drug, my arms hold her close, probably bruising her delicate skin but I can't find the willpower in me to stop. But as I feel her sag against my frame its like a slap in the face, quickly releasing her neck I look intently at her face, her eyes closed, head lolled back but I feel her heart beating still, sitting on the ground I cradle Mia's soft pliant body against mine, surrounded by her scent, the taste of her blood still dances on my tongue. No blood has ever tasted as sweet, as addicting as hers and I realise I have made a grave error, no other blood is going to appeal to me as much as hers, this could make things difficult. Eventually Mia stirs, her emerald eyes opening slowly but the moment they settle on my gaze she leaps from my lap, falling to the floor, weakness coursing through her limbs, panic in her eyes.