Chapter 4

comment pleeeasse *puppy eyes* :D I very much like feedback, it keeps me motivated :)
__________________________________ 

Tola's p.o.v.

I'm not sure how it was possible, but no one got in trouble for the fight, and I was relieved to say the least. I definitely didn't need the trouble.

Assessing the damage in the classroom after talking with Talie, I concluded that I had no serious injuries. I had two bruises on my jaw, a scratch across my cheek bone, a mild split lip, and another bruise at my temple. I guess Sarah, the girl who attacked me, wasn't all that strong. I should be healed in no time though, I'm a fast healer.

The bruises on my body didn't bother me very much, I was used to it. Other than a couple more bruises on my waist and back, I wasn't too beat up.

“I'm going to go home.” I announced to Talie while she ate her lunch. “I don't want teachers asking questions about my face. And since it's Friday, I won't have to come back until Monday, so I'll have some time to heal.” I told her. She looked up at me, examining my face and nodding with a mouth full of chicken sandwich. I glanced at the sandwich hungrily, but looked away. I was so hungry.

Catching my look, Natalie frowned. “Why aren't you eating anything?” she questioned.

“I forgot my lunch money.” I said with a shrug. She offered her sandwich to me. I almost gagged at the thought of taking charity, even if it was from Talie. I shook my head at her offer and smiled. She shrugged and finished the sandwich.

Talie stood up and threw her garbage in the trash. “Lets go, I'll drive you to your house.” she said with a smile. My eyes widened. I guess we still had enough time during the lunch period for her to drop me off, but my stomach clenched at the thought of her seeing my trashy apartment building.

Seeing that I was about to argue, she frowned and interrupted me before I could start. “I'm driving you, and that's final.” she said before spinning around and walking to the parking lot. I shifted uncomfortably before following her.

She grinned as I got into her car. I mumbled some instructions to her as she pulled out of the school parking lot.

Natalie turned on the radio as she drove, the station playing hits from the 90's. I smiled and started to sing along to the songs with her. By the end of the drive, we were practically screaming out the lyrics and cracking up. I pointed to my apartment, and we pulled up in front. She turned off the radio and silently took in my building, along with the street we were on. I looked down, ashamed of where I lived.

“Thanks.” I mumbled before reaching for the car door handle. Suddenly she grabbed my wrist, sending warm tingles up my arm. I turned around and looked at her questioningly.

“We should hang out tomorrow. I'll text you, okay?” she said happily. I nodded and grinned before I could stop myself, the idea of spending more time with her sounded incredibly appealing.

“And Talie,” she added, looking more serious, “You can call me or come over to my house anytime your mom, you know... um... hits you.” she added with concern in her voice. I flinched at her word choice. Geez, she made me sound like some poor sad abused child. I nodded tightly. She didn't look satisfied with my response.

“Promise me you'll call me if you ever need help.” she pressed gently. I looked down at my lap. I couldn't promise her that, I don't want to drag her into my shit.

“We'll talk about it tomorrow when we hang out, okay?” I bargained. She sighed and nodded, removing her hand. I thanked her again for driving me before hopping out of her car and walked up to my apartment.

Opening the door, I glanced around, checking to see if my mom was there. Unfortunately I found her on the couch, staring off into space. I closed the door softly behind me, and her eyes snapped to me, narrowing when she saw the damage on my face.

“Come here.” she demanded. I walked over to her cautiously and stood in front of her. She stood up so that we were eye to eye. “What happened to your face?” she asked.

“One of the girls at school attacked me.” I answered carefully. My mom raised her hand and I flinched back, expecting her to hit me. She frowned at me for flinching. Continuing to raise her hand, I closed my eyes and waited for the impact.

I felt a gentle hand cup my cheek. My eyes flew open in surprise as she turned my head this way and that, taking in the damage. She grabbed my hand and pulled me to the bathroom, sitting me down on a stool and taking out our first aid kit.

Sitting on the counter across from me, she disinfected my split lip and the scratch across my cheek. Taking out a bruise ointment, she massaged it into the bruises on my face. I sat there and stared at her the whole time, glad that for once she wasn't on drugs or alcohol.

She packed everything back up and put it away, then sat back down across from me. She coughed awkwardly and frowned at the floor. With a sigh she looked up at me.

“I'm sorry, Tola. I've been selfish. I'll try to stay clean, alright?” she said quietly. My heart filled with warmth and I pulled her into a tight embraced, tears immediately starting to stream down my face. I know that this wouldn't last, but this is why I stay around. Because underneath all the hurt and chaos and drugs and alcohol, my mom was still there, and I love her.

Yeah yeah yeah I know it's short, but it's an important chapter :)

Sorry it took me so long to update! But I'm busy with all my school stuff X(

I'm thinking that I'll update again AT LEAST by Thursday :3

Sooooo who's p.o.v. do you think the next chapter should be in?? Next chapter is when Tola and Talie hang out :D I'm so excited !!

Keep on commenting guys, it means a lot to me and definitely motivates me :) Thank u!!