0.0 | PROLOGUE

(Listen to the music while reading. I'll be putting some instrumentals that fit the chapter.)

Music: "Jane's Lament" by Kim Planert

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

The endless sounds would reverberate throughout the town and make bodies chill and think twice before leaving the warmth of their houses. Every night, new victims would be announced. Every night, you would hear the blood-curdling screams of the helpless citizens that thought the forest would be a quiet place to relax or fish.

They were never more wrong in their entire life.

Every night, at exactly 1:27 am, the screams, the bumps, the bone-rattling noises that haunted everyone's sleep would arise. In less than a minute, the bumps would get louder. The screams would become more distant and then...

They'd stop.

These days, it would be a nightmare to live in the town of Sanguis. Every single day, people would start moving out. The once filled town would slowly start to become quieter and the atmosphere would feel like a graveyard. The cement walls in alleys would be splattered with red spray-paint, saying warnings like "YOU WON'T SLEEP TONIGHT" and "THE END IS CLOSER THAN YOU THINK."

Even domesticated animals would start disappearing. The once loud backyard of yapping puppies turned into a cemetery of dead silence with blood streaks coating the grass blades.

Children that once played hopscotch or marbles along the street markets would start crying at home because they didn't want to run into the "scary ghosts." They used to buy cotton candy from the vendors in the market, but as soon as the first person was knocked down like a bowling pin at 1:27 am, the children would start coming out less and less, guarded by the protective clutches of their frightened parents.

Hunters stopped going into forests, in fear of running into the ghosts. They would quit their hobby or job and start living like a hermit in their houses and never come out, in fear of meeting the end of their lives.

It had to stop.

The blood.

The cries. The screams. The bumps.

Someone had to stop it.

Anyone.

Or else...

The most horrible things would happen.

It would be worse than the bumps, the blood, and the screams.

Worse than the scared children.

Worse than the hermits that quit their job.

Worse than the fact that people are departing from Sanguis every day from the train station.

Much worse.