0.7 | LETTERS

(Listen to the music while reading. I'll be adding more instrumentals to the story.)

Music: "Yearning" by Richard Lacy

/////

It's been a few hours since Jaemin poured his heart out about his past to me. We arrived at the office at around 5 pm, silent. We didn't say anything to each other.

I, on the other hand, went upstairs to my room and started working on the case by myself. Jaemin went up to his room to add more to his board of evidence and information, only that there was no evidence. It disappeared. It vanished.

I sat at my desk, writing in some things into my notebook. I wrote about what we saw, what we found, and what noises we heard. I spent a decent amount of time on my evidence notebook, waiting until Jaemin was done.

There was a knock on my door. When I opened it, I found Jaemin standing there.

"I'm going to be having a talk with Chief Rosewood for a while. He's going to talk to us individually about some things, but he called me first. Feel free to check out my evidence and how I set things up on my board."

"Okay. Thanks, Jaemin." I told him as he went back downstairs.

I went into his squeaky clean room with my notebook and started looking at all the pictures and typed notes he had up there, all connected with some string. I was only looking around, but my eyes caught on something that sat on Jaemin's desk. It was a small notebook. On the cover, it said "99000102."

I opened it up. It wasn't evidence.

In it, were handwritten letters that looked like Jaemin wrote.

Dear Mark,

It's been a while since I saw you getting dragged away by the 1:27. Now that I look back, I wished I had chased after you and bring you back home, but I know that I'm too timid. I'm only a 17-year-old guy that has some stupid dream about becoming a detective. I'm so sorry, Mark hyung. I've been pretty sick these days. Maybe it's because I'm depressed.

I really miss you, Mark hyung. I wish you were here. It's lonely here. I feel like breaking apart. Come back, hyung. Come back and cheer me up. I feel like dying.

Signed,

-Na Jaemin

I gasped. I realized that these weren't just regular letters. These were letters that Jaemin wrote to his missing friends, as if he was calling them on the phone. These were letters crying "come back, I miss you."