Perspective

LEVI'S POV

We traveled westward along the wall in silence, headed for the furthest most reaches of the land that was protected by Wall Maria.

Erwin had made it clear that our mission was to check out the far reaches of the wall where the abnormal beast titan had been seen last and try to find out how the titans were breaching our defenses.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw (F/N) glance over at me, her mouth open slightly as if she wanted to say something, but then thought better of it. Instead, she started to rhythmically slap her reins against the palm of her hand in an agitated, bored movement.

I let out an exasperated sigh. She was doing it just to get a rise out of me. She knew I hated things like that. I should just ignore here and not give her what she wanted. But I wanted to talk to her, hear her voice, even if it was under the guise of telling her how annoying I found her.

"Oi, (L/N)."

She looked over at me, a smirk flickering across her full lips as she asked innocently, "Yes, Ackerman? Is something bothering you?"

I scowled at her. "Tch. Nothing new. Just you." I felt a slight twinge as I said the words. She always bothered me when I was around her, she bothered me to no end, but not in the way that she thought.

She gasped sarcastically. "Wow. I'm offended. That really cuts me deeply." She pouted for a moment and then smirked at me. "Oh wait, no it doesn't. Because I don't give a titan's ass what you think about me."

I opened my mouth to retort something back at her, when I heard Jaeger call up from behind us, "Corporals! Titans coming at us from the north."

I jerked the head of my black stallion around to face the cadets, causing all of us to stop, and jumped down from the large animal, tossing my reins to Jaeger as I did so. I scanned my gaze over the cadets and then said flatly, "Corporal (L/N) and I will take care of them. There won't be many this far out and it'll be fairly quick." I glared at the cadets, making sure they knew they were to stay put, before I pulled my blades from their sheaths. "You brats will just get in our way. We'll make quicker time if you wait here and we head onward after the titans are taken care of."

(F/N) slid off her dappled mare and landed lightly next to me on the ground, pulling her own blades out as she did so. I glanced over at her as she motioned to the two cadets she had brought with her and said sternly, ""You two. Stay with the squad. He's right. We can take care of this more quickly if all you idiots aren't underneath our feet."

I flicked my eyes over to the boy, Johnson, and noticed that he looked at (F/N) as if she put the stars in the sky, not just as a Corporal, but as a person as well. He was right, but I didn't like that someone else had noticed it about her beside myself.

Irritated, I snapped at (F/N), "Let's go, (L/N)."

I shot off into the forest on my lines, the cool breeze whipping my hair in and out of my eyes as I dodged quickly through and around the trees. I heard (F/N) whip up beside me so we were even with each other, and then call out, "Ackerman." I glanced over at her and she pointed to a fifteen meter barreling through the trees below us. "I'll take care of this bastard. Go on ahead. I'll catch up."

I nodded at her as she started to drop altitude, headed down toward the shambling titan.

As I flew away through the closely knit trees, I glanced back over my shoulder just in time to see her drop down out of the trees onto the titan. She was more than capable of taking care of herself, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't focus on doing my job well if I was worried she was in any sort of harm's way.