Freeze

I swiped my blade down across the pale flesh of the titan's neck as I whipped past on my 3DM lines, and a spray of dark blood instantly splashed upward and into the air around me, flecks of the crimson, hot liquid speckling my face.

Landing on a branch and lightly taking a few steps forward to steady myself, I glanced over as Miller landed beside me, reaching up to wipe the sweat from her brow. I shot her a smug smile. "That's seven for me, Miller."

She groaned, and Springer landed beside her on the tree branch, catching my proud statement as he furrowed his brow in annoyance. "No way. I'm only on three." He shot me a grin, his bloodstained skin crinkling with the force of the smile. "But there's still time. I'm going to beat you, Corporal."
"I admire your optimism, Springer." I chuckled slightly as I wiped my bloody sword onto my pants and glanced down at the forest floor below, littered with fallen titans. "However, I've been doing this much longer than you have."

Our conversation was interrupted as Levi landed on the tree branch next to me, raising an eyebrow at all three of us. "Tch. What are you three doing just standing around?"

I sheathed my sword as I glanced over at him, shooting him a grin as I said, "We're just comparing the scores. Want to join the contest, Ackerman?"

He scoffed and rolled his eyes at me as he readied himself to leave the tree we were standing in. "I don't have time for your games, (L/N). Some of us actually have titans to kill."

He shot off into the trees, his blades flashes of steel at his side.

"That doesn't even make sense, Ackerman! I'm at seven already so I AM killing titans!" I called out after him, before turning back to Miller and Springer, who were staring after Levi. I noticed the curious looks on their faces and asked, "What are you two staring at?"

Springer turned his gaze to me, curiosity still lingering on his face, and said, "Corporal Ackerman's in an incredibly good mood today. I mean, compared to his usual mood of death and despair. Normally he would have told us to quit the antics altogether." He shrugged slightly and glanced to Miller, who nodded in agreement. "He just told us he didn't have time for us and left. No lecture, no insults, no 'brats.'" Springer flashed me another grin. "Something's got him in a great mood, and that bodes well for us!"

I hid the smile that was threatening to break out across my lips and unsheathed my blades once again. "Well, that is good news. So I say we finish this mission up while he's still in a good mood, and get the hell back inside the city. What do you two say?"

Springer pushed past me, already halfway into the air on his lines as he pulled out his swords. "Way ahead of you, Corporal." He smirked over his shoulder at me as he flew into the air, headed for a nearby titan crashing through the trees. "I've got a record to beat."

Miller followed close behind him, leaving me alone on the tree branch for just a moment.

I stood there for a few seconds, feeling the cool breeze on my skin, watching the titans fall around me, and I suddenly felt a small glimmer of hope within me, that maybe, just maybe, we could win this after all.

After we had cleared our section of the wall, we headed back to the city for the night.

The shadows were beginning to lengthen as we stabled the horses and met the cadets back out in front of the long, low building.

Stretching my arms above my head and letting out a small groan as I worked through the kinks in my back from swinging swords all day, I glanced at the small group of cadets gathered before me and said, "Alright, idiots. You did well today. Everyone get cleaned up and then we'll meet back here in an hour for a bonfire and some relaxation before lights out." I flashed them all a smile. "And drinks are on me."