Away

The next morning, when I awoke to the early morning light coming in through the window, it took me a moment to remember what had happened the night before.

I rubbed a hand across my eyes to wipe the sleep from my vision and then stretched my arms up and over my head to relieve the kinks in my back. As I did so, my fingers brushed across Levi's skin, and at the touch, it all came flashing back into my mind.

It hadn't been a dream after all.

I glanced over at him. He was still asleep next to me, his chest rising and falling with even, deep breaths, his face peaceful in deep sleep, his lips slightly parted. His arm was underneath me, I was lying so I was nestled in the crook of his elbow, and his other arm was casually slung up and over his head, his fingers twitching slightly every so often with dream movements.

A soft smile flickered across my lips as I watched him silently for a few more moments. When he was asleep, he seemed so much more like the boy I had known-gentle, unconcerned. I still couldn't believe that after all these years, I'd gotten him back.

I came up on my elbow beside him and reaching out a hand, ran my fingers gently through his hair as I said softly, "Oi, Levi."

He stirred slightly, and letting out a small groan of irritation, his eyes still closed, his voice thick with sleep, replied, "No, (F/N)."

I scooted up against him and laid my chin on his chest, throwing my arm over him as I said teasingly, "Wow. You're even grumpier in the morning if that's possible."

He scoffed, but didn't say anything in response. He snaked his arm around my waist, keeping me against him, his fingers cool against my hips, and then grew still. His breaths deepened again after a few moments.

I ran my fingers across the bare skin of his chest, tracing the multiple scars that marred the pale surface. Some were silvery with age, and beginning to fade, others were red and angry, and were obviously newer. I recognized some of the older scars and remembered the times he had acquired them in various ways when we were kids. Some of the newer scars were even familiar from escapades in the field when we were out on objectives.

Levi placed his hand on top of mine, stopping my tracing movements on his skin. I glanced up at him, and he was watching me, his dark eyes studying me intently. He raised an eyebrow at me. "Tch. You're actually pretty acceptable in the mornings, (F/N)."

I came up on my elbow again and looked down at him, giving him a slight smirk as I said in mock surprise, "Wow, Levi. I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

He rolled his eyes at me. "Don't get used to it."

"Oh, come on." I raised my eyebrows at him playfully as I intertwined my fingers with his. "Would it kill you to tell me I'm pretty? Just once?" I gasped as a realization hit me and I excitedly squeezed his hand as I said quickly, "Or wait! I've got something better." I leaned over and whispered into his ear seductively, "Tell me that you've never seen anyone kill titans as well as I can."

"You're a damn idiot." Levi said in annoyance, although I could tell he was trying hard not to smile, the corner of his lips flickering just slightly. He rolled over, forcing me back down on the bed, pinning my hands on either side of my head as he leaned over me, his dark hair falling over his forehead and into his eyes. He held my gaze, and the unspoken words in his expression set a fire in my stomach. He leaned down, putting his lips to my ear, his breath warm on my skin, and murmured, "I've never seen anyone kill titans as well as you."

I grinned and turned my head slightly to face him. Our lips were so close that when I spoke, they brushed slightly. "Good. And now that you've practiced, tell that to our cadets later today. I've been telling them that all along, but they won't believe it unless you say it."