Survival

FLASHBACK

"Oi, Farlan, Isabel."

Levi dragged me behind him, his fingers clasped around my thin wrist, as he called out to a pair of cadets walking in front of us. At his voice, they stopped and turned to face us. The girl gave me a soft smile as we walked up, and the boy flashed me a broad grin, saying, "Oi, Levi. Is this her?"

The girl elbowed the boy hard in the side, shooting him a glare as she said, "Be polite, Farlan. She's probably nervous as hell, and you're making it worse." She turned back to us and held out her hand to me, the smile returning to her lips as she said in a welcoming tone, "Hey. I'm Isabel." She motioned to the boy, who know wore a slightly irritated look on his face as he rubbed his side. "And that's Farlan."

I stayed frozen behind Levi, not reaching out to take her extended, friendly hand. They seemed nice enough, but I felt intimidated by them nonetheless. After all, they were in the scouts with Levi, and they had lived aboveground their entire lives. I was still getting used to the feeling of bright sunlight every morning, and they were out on scouting missions. They'd probably think I was an idiot if I said anything and gave away my heavy underground accent.

Levi reached back to me and wrapped his fingers through mine, pulling me out from behind him as he said, "This is (F/N). She just got here yesterday. So she's still warming up to things around here." He laughed slightly and raised an eyebrow at the two cadets in front of us. "After all, you guys remember how screwed up I was when I first got here."

Farlan laughed and glanced over at me, saying in a joking tone, as if to break the ice, "Yeah, he was a right mess. Has he always been so small and angry?"

Isabel cut in, a grin flashing across her face as she punched Levi playfully in the arm and said to me, "Oi, (F/N). I'm sorry you had to grow up with Ackerman here. He's downright unpleasant at times."
"Tch." Levi scoffed and rolled his eyes, although I could tell by the way he held his mouth, he was trying not to smile at their antics. "These two don't know anything. The only reason I'm such an ass is because someone has to keep them in line."

Farlan faked hurt, putting a hand to his heart as he said sadly, "Ouch. That hurts, Ackerman. It really does."
Isabel must have noticed that I still clung to Levi's arm, not saying anything, and she tried to bring me into the conversation again as she motioned to the scouting jacket I wore. "I see they got you outfitted. How does it feel, (F/N)?"

The jacket was big, even though it was the smallest size they could offer me, and it hung off my thin, malnourished frame awkwardly, but the scouting emblem was pressed into the fabric on my chest, and it made me feel proud to finally be apart of something Levi and I had dreamed about for years.

Levi squeezed my hand reassuringly, glancing over at me, his dark hair falling over his forehead as he gave me a small smile. His fingers pressed comfortingly into mine as he turned back to Farlan and Isabel and said, "I'm going to show (F/N) her quarters. We'll catch up with you two later, yeah?"

"Yeah, for sure! See you later, (F/N)!" Isabel nodded and grabbed Farlan's arm, dragging him off toward the mess hall before he could protest.

I was grateful that she had gotten Levi's subtle hint. I was tired, and overwhelmed, and I felt out of place here. I wasn't like these people, I wasn't good enough to be aboveground.

"Oi, (F/N)." Levi turned toward me, pulling me closer to him as he reached out a hand and ran a finger down the skin between my eyes, smoothing out the lines, as he said, "Stop worrying. You're thinking too hard. I got you out, right?" He met my gaze, his dark eyes boring into mine, until I finally nodded at him mutely. He flashed me a smile. "Good. Remember that. And I'm not going to leave you alone now. Not when we're finally back together again." He brushed some of my hair back from my forehead and pulled me into a tight hug, saying quietly into my ear, "Trust me. I'll always have your back."