t-shirt; zonah

"In the morning when you wake up, I like to believe you are thinking of me. And when the sun comes through your window, I like to believe you've been dreaming of me."

Zach stares up at the roof in his bedroom, pulling jonah's t-shirt tight to his chest. He sniffles, wiping the unshed tears from his eyes. He blinks quickly, struggling to refrain from bursting into tears.

Is he thinking of me?, he wonders. Is his mind filled of us?

Zach slowly sits up in his bed, letting the piece of clothing around his chest fall loose around his body. He reaches over and grabs a handful of tissues in his hand and blows his nose, wiping his eyes with a few others, before discarding them in the bin.

The sun creeps up around the horizon, and Zach sighs, before smiling-remembering the sunsets they watched together- and then frowned-remembering he is not longer his.

He eventually brings himself out of the bed, into his bathroom. He undressed himself, hesitant about jonah's shirt. But in the end, he stripped it off and entered the shower.

He turned on the water, just standing in it and letting it flow down his body.

"I know 'cause I'd spend half this morning thinking about the t-shirt you sleep in."

Zach wipes his hand against the foggy glass, looking out to the t-shirt.

He missed Jonah, with such passion, that it almost physically hurt. But, it did mentally-unfortunately for zach.

Zach just memorises every detail of the shirt, remembering when jonah had left it over. Remembering the significance it held-the important events that happened that day.

-

Zach was anxiously waiting for Jonah to arrive, needing to see his boyfriend. They had not seen each other in days, and they were both starting to feel withdrawals.

When zach heard the soft knock on the door, he raced to it, eager to see the boy he loved.

And that day was really a joy for both boys.

Zach remembered stealing Jonah's shirt before the older boy left; forcing him to leave wearing one of zach's shirts.

Zach remembered staring at Jonah's toned body.

Zach remembered Jonah telling him to-and I quote-'go stare at someone else's body.'

Zach remembered kissing Jonah.

He certainly remembered that kiss led to their first time.

And he certainly wouldn't forget the importance of this shirt.

-

Tears slipped from the brunette's eyes, lost in the flush of water falling from the shower-head.

Zach stopped the shower, stepping out an wrapping a towel around his waist, walking into his room. He picked up another of jonah's shirts, pulling it over his head.

Every shirt had it's story.

He proceeded to then dress in whatever was lying around.

"I should know 'cause I'd spend all the whole day listening to your message I'm keeping and never deleting."

Zach picked up his phone, yet more tears slipping from his tear-ducts. He unlocks it and opens his voicemails. He replays the message jonah sent him when they had been dating a year.

-

"Hehe, hi babe! I know, I know, you can't have your phone, but here's your daily reminder that I love you, and you're perfect! I love you baby, don't forget that. Bye, zachy!"

-

Zach sinks to the floor, bursting into tears.

"I-I lo-love you t-t-too, joni," Zach whispers, curling into a ball on his side.

"When I saw you, everyone knew I liked the effect that you had on my eyes."

Zach loved the effect Jonah had on everyone, but hated it at the same time; he could make anyone love him.

And that made zach sad; jonah could easily replace him with the call of a name.

But Zach loved him for that. Zach loved jonah for many reasons; too many to count.

"But no one else heard the weight of your words or felt the effect that they have on my mind."

-

"Zach," Jonah had said solemnly, hanging his head in shame.

"Yes, joni? What's wrong?"

"Look, I don't think this is going to work out; me moving and all. I think we should just... take a break," Jonah announces, a tinge of regret in his voice.

The rest of his words were lost to zach; a blur of slurred words uttered by his true love.

He just nodded along, tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

And when jonah left, zach cried... a lot.

-

Zach pulled the t-shirt ever so tightly to his chest, sniffling once again.

But then he heard his phone ring. So, he picked it up and answered, ignoring the caller ID.

"I missed you, zachy."

"I missed you, too, joni."